textbook for (not necessarily academic but) advanced speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancerella

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Mexico
Hi,
I've just joined the forum - hopefully I'm posting in the right place!
I'm wondering if someone can recommend an engaging textbook for advanced ESL speakers. This will be a new class and students will likely range in age from 16 - 25+. Some have more education than others (i.e., some have finished high school, others haven't).

I've only looked at Q: Skills for Success Level 4. The level of vocabulary seems rather advanced for the students I'll likely have. Also, the book in general seems too dense and I doubt that these topics will be interesting for these students. Most want English for work vs. further univ. study.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Teaching English Games

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
France
Hello Nancy,

Consider using game ideas that last a whole lesson.
For example quizzes and debates.

Quiz Ideas:

With a quiz students write the questions and the teacher collects them in. Questions can be written for homework or in class. Either way the teacher is not goingn to take an entire evening preparing a quiz! With students writing 5-10 questions each you soon have material for a great quiz that can take an entire lesson. I do recommend that teachers check the questions beforehand for errors since it's much better for students to work with correct English. One could correct errors during the quiz but that slows the momentum down and can make the activity drag.

Topics can be any type of general knowledge, facts, art, history, music...
and also grammar questions, vocabulary definitions, metaphor and idiom translations and any language related topic.

Debate Ideas:
Here is an advanced speaking activity that can take a whole lesson, and be repeated over time covering different topics. Students get better at this game as they use it more often.
http://teachingenglishgames.com/adults/persuasion.htm

I would like to recommend a book to you that is not a textbook, but which contains printable quiz templates plus plenty of other activities to compliment and liven up any textbook, or use alone. The above ideas are taken from it.

It's here on Amazon in paperback:
http://www.amazon.com/ESL-Classroom-Activities-Teens-Adults/dp/1478213795

Kind regards
Shelley

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.