Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Is there any sense difference between tese phrases: "cleaning rags" & "cleaning material"?
Context (if needed):
When the working shift is over it’s necessary to clean the rooms and repair pits from the oiled cleaning rags/material; then the cleaning material is to be put into a fire-resisting container with a tight lid in a specially designated area.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you are only using rags, then the 'cleaning material' is the rags. Otherwise, the 'cleaning material' is the rags and whatever else you are using - brushes, scrapers, solutions and solvents.
I don't understand the part of the sentence that goes "repair pits from the rags/material".

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
If you are only using rags, then the 'cleaning material' is the rags. Otherwise, the 'cleaning material' is the rags and whatever else you are using - brushes, scrapers, solutions and solvents.
I don't understand the part of the sentence that goes "repair pits from the rags/material".
Thanks.
"to clean repair pits from the cleaning material". In this case "repair" is not a verb. The synonym, and probably the better variant, is "floor pit".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks.
"to clean repair pits from the cleaning material". In this case "repair" is not a verb. The synonym, and probably the better variant, is "floor pit".

That doesn't help I'm afraid. I have no idea what a "floor pit" is.

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
That doesn't help I'm afraid. I have no idea what a "floor pit" is.
A pit or recess below a floor line provided to facilitate the reaching of parts beneath a machine
012ecmCBfig2.jpg

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I knew what a floor pit is but I still can't make "repair pits from the oiled cleaning rags/material" make sense. Do you perhaps mean "... remove oily cleaning rags from the pit"?

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Do you perhaps mean "... remove oily cleaning rags from the pit"?
Absolutely right.
When the working shift is over it’s necessary to remove the oiled cleaning materials and different liquids from the rooms and repair pits.
Can you explain, please, what was wrong? Maybe I should replace preposition "from" by "of"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need to use "oily" rather than "oiled". "Oily" suggests that they have been made dirty because they've been used to wipe oil from hands etc. "Oiled" is the word we use when we have put oil on something on purpose, perhaps in order to use oil as a beneficial treatment.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about:

When the working shift is over it’s necessary to clear the rooms and repair pits of oily cleaning rags/material

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At the end of each shift, all oily rags and materials must be removed from the rooms and the repair pits. The materials must then be placed into a fire-resistant container with a tight-fitting lid and put in a/the specially designated area.

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
How about:

When the working shift is over it’s necessary to clear the rooms and repair pits of oily cleaning rags/material
Thank you. It sounds good.

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
At the end of each shift, all oily rags and materials must be removed from the rooms and the repair pits. The materials must then be placed into a fire-resistant container with a tight-fitting lid and put in a/the specially designated area.
Thank you!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome, tory, but there is no need to write a new post to say Thank you ​or to quote our replies back to us. Simply click the Thank button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question. It saves everybody's time.​

Status
Not open for further replies.