Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

There is a lady in my office, she is not beautiful. One of the employees was making fun of her and he said "Whenever she would be at home, her husband would be taking some kind of sleeping pills so that he would sleep whole day and wouldn't have to make love to her". So is it correct, he imagined all these things as if they happen on daily basis or regularly. So is the formation correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Regardless of what he meant, anyone who says something like that about a fellow employee is a nasty piece of work who, I would like to think, you will avoid having anything to do with.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I myself didn't feel good about it, but I can't say anyrhing to him for this. Alrhough I wasn't there at that time when he said it. I heard it from someone else. "But please answer my question".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I personally have no desire to correct the utterances of such an abhorrent thing to say.
Of course, the person who said it probably has a wife. Whenever he is home, she probably takes sleeping pills so she doesn't have to hear his vile commentary.

My sentence tells you what you need to know about the tense.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
He is not married. Ok so if we are imagining anything, we do not have to use "Would". We have to use "Present perfect". But I think "Would" is used for imaginations?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am curious where present perfect came into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.