• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

GRA.D.E.

Dear everyone,

I am writing to inform you that I have created a web resource which might be useful to both EFL teachers and learners.
    It's a collection of grammar exercises that can be accessed online. The exercises can be retrieved by using a user-friendly form: users are enabled to choose the type(s) of exercise, the topic(s) and even specific tense(s).

If you wish to try using it, my website is:
    http://www.greid.altervista.org/
    Last edited by ale77; 15-Jul-2014 at 12:20.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GRA.D.E.

There are so many choices of test, and you have to tick each of the boxes to get it to work.
    Four out of my five attempts to get a test ended up with "Sorry, try another choice". Are the answers available?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Same problem here. I tried 6 or 7 different combinations of choices but every one resulted in "SORRY. There are no exercises in the database which match your search. Please try selecting different values".

If there aren't even any exercises testing the use of "to be" in the present simple tense and using a multiple choice answer system, then it's not even covering the basics.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

ale77 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

@emsr2d2:
    The DB is not complete yet.
    As a matter of fact, you can clearly see that the topic "to be" is currently covered by 2 exercises. How many of them did you expect to retrieve?

@raymott:
    - the wide choice of exercise types is actually a strength of the system, at least in my view.
    - no answers (yet).

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ale77 View Post
    @raymott:
    - the wide choice of exercise types is actually a strength of the system, at least in my view.
    It would be a strength if the system was forthcoming with the result of your choice.
    I think the idea is good. But you probably know that there are hundreds of similar sites where a student can go and, when they choose a test, they get it, and then they get their answers marked immediately. To be honest, if I were a student I would not go back - even with a promise that it will be getting better.
    You obviously have the programming skills to deactivate/erase for now, those parts which don't have content. You might not remember the early days of the Web, but the place was full of sites that had a lovely home page full of interesting links that went nowhere, or to a gif of a little yellow labourer icon.
    If the functioning matched the conception, it would be a good site - all assuming that the answers are correct, and all the grammar is right etc. In ogni caso, buona fortuna! You have a lot of work to do!

ale77 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement. Mmh, it's quite weird to get deadpan remarks and frowning comments on a forum which is supposed to create a network of interest. I clearly looked in the wrong direction.

Anyhoo... would you be so kind to point me to any "similar sites" of yours which remotely allow users to select exercises so precisely?
    My resource is a test builder, intended (primarily) for teachers who need to produce quick grammar tests. If I were a student I wouldn't probably use it myself.
    I didn't write the code and the database with the goal of saying the last word on English teaching - I am not going to steal your job, you know.

As far as I am concerned, I haven't got any work to do at all. But hey, feel free to donate some money if you wish to get more results next time you sign in. :P

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know off hand of any on one site. But let's take emsr2d2's examples "If there aren't even any exercises testing the use of "to be" in the present simple tense and using a multiple choice answer system"
    It took me less than a minute to type into Google, "English test 'to be'" and this is the first result:
    http://www.englishteststore.net/inde...422&Itemid=430

Sorry, you didn't get the responses you would have liked. I thought you were asking for opinions.

ale77 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Serious opinions should be given by qualified people. And yes, other people's opinions are (almost) always good.
    Once again, and (hopefully) for the last time since I am just wasting my time here:
    the site you "googled" in less than a minute (bravo!) has nothing to do with the kind of resource I made.
    - Can you customize your test?
    - Can you download it and send it over?
    - Do you think that the site you've found is useful in any way to a teacher?

Take some time to answer these questions, wise man.
    ... and thanks for the pat on my shoulder. I was really desperate for it

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

None of your comments change the fact that you said that this is a resource for teachers who want to get tests quickly. If I want to get a test quickly, I expect the site to have a test for any combination of choices I tick.

As I said, I told it I wanted an exercise which covered "to be" in the "present tense" and where the answers were "multiple choice". There were none. I tried 5 or 6 other combinations of tick boxes and I got absolutely no exercises.

I'm sorry that you didn't get the responses you wanted but there was nothing to compliment on your site. It simply doesn't work. If I had found that site from a Google search, I would have given up on it after those five or six attempts and never gone back.

If you are the site builder, I suggest you put a "Site Under Construction" page up until you have at least one exercise for every possible combination of choices.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

ale77 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems you really need to practice the verb to be in the Present Simple! If you ask Raymott, he can point you to a number of sites (even after a one-minute google search, believe it or not!).

Why don't you try a different search instead of keeping complaining about how small the collection of exercises is?
    Currently, there are more than 170 exercises on the database. I warn you, only 2 of them are about the Present Simple. Please do not feel bad about that!

By the by, I am not a site builder. I am going to add exercises in my free time. I guess I have devoted enough time to this thread of discussion. Frankly, it's like banging my head against a wall.
    I've got some advice for you too: try to see the bright side. Your criticism ("there was nothing to compliment on your site") just shows you can't really understand what you are blabbering about.

Peace and love!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast