• Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GRA.D.E.

Quite clearly you did not come here looking for constructive criticism of that site. If you're not the site builder, I'm not sure what your point was. If you are a contributor to the site, I suggest you contact the site builder/site owner and pass on our comments. I doubt he/she will be too thrilled to discover that we felt like we were banging our heads against a brick wall trying to use his/her site.

I don't need to practice my use of the verb "to be" in the present simple but genuine learners do.

I was going to close this thread but there's a danger that you'll think I did it because you specifically targeted/insulted me with the comment "... you can't really understand what you are blabbering on about". I shall, therefore, leave it to another moderator to decide whether closure is the right thing to do.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ale77 View Post
    If I were a student I wouldn't probably use it myself.
    I don't see that the criticism about navigability is invalid; you have changed the terms from the first post. Now it's a test builder, which is a very different thing from what you originally suggested it was:

I am writing to inform you that I have created a web resource which might be useful to both EFL teachers and learners.
    It's a collection of grammar exercises that can be accessed online.
    There are two discussions going on- one based on the first statement and one based on a revision.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ale77 View Post
    If you represent a Joe Average user of my site (which I honestly hope not!) I'll use your precious suggestion and I will include at least one exercise per topic.
    That would make sense- empty topics can be frustrating and give the feeling of a site not yet built.

I'd be really disappointed to know your big head is banging against a wall.
    Really? And you're complaining about the quality of the debate.

One suggestion I would make about the site, which I visited for the first time today, is that I am expected to register without seeing anything. If you gave some screenshots and an explanation of what lies beyond the registration barrier, it might encourage more people to sign up. I didn't sign up because I don't sign up for things unseen, especially when they give no details about their operation on the homepage. You can think that's because I am an arrogant idiot and tell me you're glad not to have me as a member or think of it as a heads-up. But, hey, the internet's not short of arrogant, useless twerps like me.

ale77 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems this thread has gone a bit too far from what it was supposed to be in the first place.
    I just wrote about a website, which is not the best ever, and not complete yet. I KNOW THAT. Thanks!
    Thanks for your advice. I'll look into it.

Regarding your comment about signing up without knowing what "lies beyond the registration barrier", well... I feel it's better to have a few registered users who are really interested (and who got enough info from the homepage) than having thousands of one-time users who are just curious.

PS:
    I don't know you, so I can't tell what kind of person you are.
    From your post, I can just assume you are a bit touchy and not really self-confident. Come on, do not be so hard on yourself.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Free test builders are two-a-penny; what makes yours worth registering for? There's nothing on the homepage that sets it apart. I was trying to help by suggesting that you might be able to sell it better.

How many active users do you have?
    Last edited by Tdol; 15-Jul-2014 at 10:31. Reason: punctuation

ale77 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Promotion and profit are not my priorities. I designed the website and wrote the code just for me at the beginning, and then I decided to put it online for other people who might be interested.

Personally, I don't care if three users or three million users are registered. It's totally free, and I don't earn a living designing websites.
    Since you asked: 12 active users have signed up so far. The website has been up and running for a couple of weeks, and it's mid July. Most teachers are busy enjoying their holidays, so I don't expect a higher number. And for the record, this is the first forum I have written to.

You wrote that "free test builders are two-a-penny". Are they? Could you please point to any of those? Then, could you please check how they compare to mine? That would be some good "constructive criticism". As administrator of this forum, you should be concerned about that. You know, it's quite easy to say that there are plenty of similar (or better) resources without a proper and thorough assessment/comparison. But I am not the one who can tell you how to do your job. Maybe "vague and pointless criticism" is the unspoken rule here.

Finally, thanks again for your suggestions: I've just added some screenshots, as you advised. So now, if you wish, you can be number 13

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

If you designed the website and wrote the code, then surely you are the site builder?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

ale77 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

in your previous question, I thought you were asking if my job is to build sites. It isn't.
    But yes, I have learnt how to code a little recently, and built this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2