Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hello everyone! I am new to this website (just registered) but have always been surfing around for information relating to teaching and/or grammar explanations. I have finally decided to take up a CELTA and although English is our first language, we do have a compulsory second language which we must take up in my country of residency. Although I would say that I am an English speaker, we were taught grammar at a young age and would probably have forgotten them by now.

As a start, I am reading up from websites such as grammar-monster.com etc. and have attended classes at the British Council on grammar. I would like to pick up my language back from the very bare basics before I apply for CELTA and I hope that these preps are sufficient for the course? It will not be another 5 months before I start and I would like to know if there are recommendations on supplementary readings from websites and/or books? I do have a few books on hand but I thought websites would be engaging and fun to learn as compared to books.

I understand that 5 months may be short for restarting, but I would really like to do my best before moving into the teaching field with a CELTA. Would anyone be able to provide some advice on this and what should I continue to do to improve myself daily?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A copy of Michael Swan's Practical English Usage (OUP) will stand you in good stead for the course and will be a useful reference when you're getting going as a teacher. If I pulled one grammar book out of the fire, it would be that one.

Good luck with the course. :up:

udderly

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
hey thanks for the reply and encouragement!

I do have the book because it has been highly recommended by many.. even the CELTA course administrators that I will be signing up with are recommending it as well. I will definitely take time to go through it along with the many websites :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Michael Lewis' The English Verb is a highly readable look at verbs and tenses that I greatly enjoyed reading.

udderly

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
thank you so, so much! these should be enough to keep me busy for the next few months.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.