Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi.
I was always under the impression that reduced syllable sounds can not have stress on them because they are lax vowels. however, the word "utter (/ˈʌtər/" has first syllable stress which is a reduced sound. please tell me the reason why.
Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not an expert in phonetics, but I don't understand your question. The stress is on the first syllable in "utter". It is not an exception as far as I know.

pangaea

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Reduced sounds are not suppose to have stress, i.e schwa sounds ,etc. hence the meaning; reduced sounds.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I don't think the 'ʌ' is a reduced vowel. It is an unreduced short vowel and appears in stressed syllables quite frequently.

Take the word 'reduction' ɾiˈdʌkʃ(ə)n for example.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The vowel is just a short "U". It is not a schwa.

pangaea

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
[FONT=Gentium, GentiumAlt, DejaVu Sans, Segoe UI, Lucida Grande, Charis SIL, Doulos SIL, TITUS Cyberbit Basic, Code2000, Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif]/ɛ/ is surly a reduce sound (according to American Accent Training by Ann Cook). Notice the streets on the word [/FONT]empty /ˈɛmpti/

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The stress on "empty" is on the first syllable, It is a short "e"', not a schwa. My guess is you have misunderstood something somewhere along the line.

pangaea

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks.
I know exactly what a schwa is. The point is that although I know /ɛ/ is short "e" , I read it is also "reduced sound, or a lax vowel".

N Senbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello pangaea,

Maybe because of “American Accent Training,” I think you misunderstand the meanings of those technical terms. Actually, I skimmed through this book about a year ago, and I found that its content was not always phonetically accurate (judging from the reviews on Amazon, it seems to be quite popular though), so I recommend you check the meanings of “lax” and “reduced” once again with other sources, preferably textbooks on phonetics and phonology. Probably they say both /ʌ/ and /ɛ/ are “lax vowels,” and they CAN occur in stressed syllables. And as MikeNewYork and Roman55 said, neither /ʌ/ nor /ɛ/ is a “reduced vowel” but a “full (unreduced) vowel.”

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In utter, the u is not a schwa, It's a short u. The e is a schwa. It's silent and just provides a vowel for the syllable.

In empty, the e is not a schwa. It's a short e.

In both, the stress is very definitely on the first syllable - as it is in butter, gutter, stutter, mutter, clutter, cutter, and putter.

As you can see, all of us who responded agree. Trust us on this.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is probably just a terminology difference, but I would not say that the schwa in "utter" is silent. It is unstressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.