Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I was watching an old (1999) movie with Ben Afleck and Sandra Bulock "Forces of Nature" and in the laundrette scene (41:17) there is a writing on the wall which says "Jesus is a truckheaded for Gods wherehouse". I gooled it but got no hits. Could someone tell me what does it mean? Thank you

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I guess it means that Jesus is the vehicle (means) that will transport us to heaven. (I am not religious, so I may be missing something.)

I am not sure if wherehouse is deliberate or the writer doesn't know how to spell warehouse.

drewyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Funny idiom, I never heard it. I just listen idioms like:

When a white elefant will come in...

Once in a blue Moon

or

Dog hairs...

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those aren't idioms. They're called turns of phrase or expressions.

"Once is a blue moon" is a type of expression called a cliche, which means it's used too often. "When a white elephant comes in" means nothing in American English, my language. Maybe another English-speaking culture uses it. In American English, "dog hairs" also means nothing except for its literal meaning. We do say "dog years," which compares the life-span of dogs with life-spans of people, e.g. "My dog is one year old - seven in dog years."

An idiom is a string of words that don't make literal sense but have a special meaning. For instance: How do you do? is a way to say hello to a person you're meeting for the first time. Do I have to? means Must I?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
PS - Yes, it's warehouse: a building for storing wares - that is, goods, supplies, or products. There's no such thing as a wherehouse.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, there's no such word, but that doesn't mean that the graffiti in the film didn't use it. Unless you've seen the film and are confirming that "warehouse" is spelt correctly in that scene.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

The graffiti is shown in this still from the movie.
truck.jpg

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And it could be an attempt at a play on words given the location of heaven in the hereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.