Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
China
Current Location
South Korea
A handful of scientists are picking apart infants' utterances and finding that not only is there an ordered sequence of vocal stages between birth and the first words, but in hearing-impaired babies a type of babbling thought to signal an emerging capacity for speech is delayed and distorted. Babies Sound Off: the power of babble

I think there's a gap in not only~but(also) structure in that-clause, and the gap is 'there is' since it appeared in an inverted form after "not only"

So to check the clause once more, can the following that-clause be separated into below two sentence?

that not only is there an ordered sequence of vocal stages between birth and the first words, but in hearing-impaired babies a type of babbling thought to signal an emerging capacity for speech is delayed and distorted.

>
There is an ordered sequence of vocal stages between birth and the first words. And in hearing-impaired babies, there is a type of babbling thought to signal an emerging too.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"And in hearing-impaired babies, there is a type of babbling thought to signal an emerging too." This makes no sense.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is not a good candidate for a "not only/but also" sentence I think. There is not enough of a contrast between the two statements.

Yonsu99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
China
Current Location
South Korea
"And in hearing-impaired babies, there is a type of babbling thought to signal an emerging too." This makes no sense.

Then, could you possibly phrase the clause "but in hearing-impaired babies a type of babbling thought to signal an emerging capacity for speech is delayed and distorted." into a sentence so that it makes sense?

This is not a good candidate for a "not only/but also" sentence I think. There is not enough of a contrast between the two statements.
I think so, but I want to understand it.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"A handful of scientists are picking apart infants' utterances and finding that there is an ordered sequence of vocal stages between birth and the first words, and in hearing-impaired babies there is a type of babbling thought to signal an emerging capacity for speech. However because of the hearing impairment, the speech is delayed and distorted."

Status
Not open for further replies.