Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

Please check. God is in every person. So can we say that God says "There is no person that I am not"(Means I am each and every person in this world).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ideally, you need to put "God is in every person" in quotes. I assume that you either took that quote from somewhere or you made it up yourself. You have given it as if it is a statement of fact, which is not appropriate.

I don't know what the religious view is of putting words into the mouths of deities but I would think that unless you found the words "There is no person that I am not" in the Bible, then I doubt it's viewed as appropriate to come up with things that "God can/could say".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I just wanted to check my construction. Is it correct?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If we assume that God is in every person, then God could say 'There is no person that I am not in'.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Would it be wrong, if we omitted "in" from the end of the sentence.(I think "from the end" is correct usage".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Ideally, you need to put "God is in every person" in quotes. I assume that you either took that quote from somewhere or you made it up yourself. You have given it as if it is a statement of fact, which is not appropriate.

I don't know what the religious view is of putting words into the mouths of deities but I would think that unless you found the words "There is no person that I am not" in the Bible, then I doubt it's viewed as appropriate to come up with things that "God can/could say".

There are religious texts other than the Christian bible.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Would it be wrong, if we omitted "in" from the end of the sentence.(I think "from the end" is correct usage".

No, it wouldn't be wrong, but the meaning would change.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are religious texts other than the Christian bible.

I know that, but I was under the impression that the Bible was the only one in which the deity was referred to as "God" in the English language.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it would certainly be wrong. Rover had just told you that. If you have on good authority that God is in every person (usually thought to be in region of the heart), you can infer that there is no person that God is not in." You cannot infer that there is no person that God is not, although you could fabricate this claim yourself.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jesus certainly taught us to treat every person as if that person was Him. ("Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto Me.")

But I agree with the others that saying God is "in" everyone is not the same as saying that God "is" everyone.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Christianity, we believe that God's spirit is in pious Christians, but they are definitely not the God.

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.