Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't know whether i know english or not ??

I understand mostly anything written in english or if someone speaks to me but it comes to express my thoughts i english i don't able to express them, i have no grammar knowledge...but then why i can understand written things and spoken??

how can i overcome this problem...??

Grammar Tenses????????
Please Help me!!!!!
is someone has same problem like me please chat with me.

Thanks

Ellie 2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Australia
Yes, I have the same problem ! I can understand people and rarely have any difficulties with reading. But , I cant talk fluently and write as a native can and I always should seek for a proofreading. A friend of mine advised me that I should read lots of english books loudly and in helps me to talk more fluently and also it can make me more familiar with how I can put the words together without reading lots of grammar book and I believe it can work.
Let me know if you receive any better advice.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know whether I know english or not.

I understand most [or almost] anything written in English or if someone speaks to me, but when it comes to expressing my thoughts in English, I'm not able to express them. I have no grammar knowledge. But then why can I understand writing and speech?

How can I overcome this problem? [Dots and extra question marks don't make the sentence stronger. They just make it wrong.]

Grammar Tenses????????
Please Help me!!!!!
If someone has the same problem, please chat with me.

Thanks.

Welcome, Notorious!

The answers are time and practice.

When you read or listen, you don't have to make decisions about grammar and vocabulary. The other person is doing that for you.

But if you understand what people are saying and writing, that's a huge and important step. The next steps are learning the rules and becoming comfortable using them.

You're doing well! Be patient, keep at it, and visit here often.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I have the same problem ! I can understand people and rarely have any difficulties with reading. But , I cant talk fluently and write as a native can and I always should seek for a proofreading. A friend of mine advised me that I should read lots of english books loudly and in helps me to talk more fluently and also it can make me more familiar with how I can put the words together without reading lots of grammar book and I believe it can work.
Let me know if you receive any better advice.

That's great advice! Do you have much trouble with pronunciation?

Gonzo100100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hello,
I’m a newcomer and I hope it’s all right to write in this topic because I actually think that I don’t know what to do or maybe feel it but can’t be sure. I would like to ask for some advices about how to study English from the point I’m at.
I can say that I speak rather fluently, in general. I have no problem with expressing myself because I always can find a way around with the word I’m thinking about but I don’t know or don’t remember how to say it in English. I live in England for few years, I made English level 2, now I study Art at a university and I noticed I don’t really improve my communication skills much from quite long time. I would like to know how I can advance with my study. Should I get a particular online course, some special book, enrol somewhere? I believe I need to improve my vocabulary, pronunciation and learn accent because now people can clearly say I’m from elsewhere.
I like reading (in my own language) so I hear a lot I should read books in English, I don’t really do it because books supposed to be fun to read and it irritates me when I have to look for meaning of some word in a dictionary but recently I had sudden motivation to begin new practices so I started to read at least few newspaper articles everyday but I would like to do something more.
If you have any advices for me I’ll appreciate your help,
Regards,
Roman.

HenryLin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it is the problem of many folks that they can read, understand and well pronounced also the English language but at the time of writing they do grammatical mistake, for that the person have to watch some English movies by which they can correct their grammar as well as talking skill. Apart from that you can also take some courses related to learning grammar tenses so that you can feel free to talk with anybody with correct pronunciation and tenses.

Last edited:

missie123

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

I really do understand where you all at.
Because I do have the same problems.

I really hope that we all overcome this problem soon.

missie
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.