Gap Fill Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sstupid

Thank you very much, tdol.
I was a little bit happy when I knew I'd sometimes had the right idea.
However I couldn't choose the right words maybe because I was thinking in my native language.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
One of the problems with English is the number of words with a similar meaning, like using 'only' instead of 'alone'. :)

Sstupid

Today I came across the following sentence.

The form below is for queries relating to CBBC Newsround only.

Would you please let me know the difference between only and alone.
Thank you in advance.

p.s. What kinds of expressions do you prefer to use when you ask someone to do something?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The problem is that it has a slightly different meaning in the gap fill. If you use 'only' there, you are suggesting that nthe book is sold in one country- 'only' excludes all others, while 'alone' allows us to look at the statistics for one country without implying that it is not on sale elsewhere. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A little bit less Sstupid??? :)

Sstupid

You said the right thing!
How should I respond to your much smarter comment?
Oh, it is my Sstupidity that I've always got to lament.

michelle-88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello all ^_^

I'm new nice to see people here discussion about things and answering

This is my answers for the exercise ;-)

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. ___The ___ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the __News ____ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had __been____ working on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _released _____ in more than 200 _countries _____ and translated into 60 __languages ____ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth __book____, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK ___book stores ___.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury ___said___ the series had "entered the ___No idea :-(___ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented ___value___ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Teachers and publishers acknowledge that the Potter books have been instrumental in turning more children on to reading.

It may be wrong , in fact i bit it's wrong 60%

but i was hoping to get your help

Indeed after I answered this blanks

I saw your correction

and I know that I should not use the with the Articles .. etc

but What should I said instead :oops:

Sorry for bothering

but I'd like to improve my language by practicing & writing

Best regards

imanedj

Member Type
Student or Learner
I really appreciate your work even if I found it so difficult .I try to do my best
The - the assembly - begun - published - copies - languages - series -libraries
that - - high

Member Type
Student or Learner
Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. The JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the news on Monday - and revealed Rowling had began to work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been published in more than 200 countries and translated into 60 languages from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth book, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK book shops.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury ______ the series had "entered the ______ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented ______ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Teachers and publishers acknowledge that the Potter books have been instrumental in turning more children on to reading.

Acc3ss

Member Type
Student or Learner
Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. Miss/Mrs JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the news on Monday - and revealed Rowling had began work on the sixth Potter adventure.​

The series has been distributed in more than 200 countries and translated into 60 languages from Hindi to Ancient Greek.​

The fifth book, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK alone.​

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury that the series had "entered the guinness books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented streak of worldwide sales" of 250 million.​

Teachers and publishers acknowledge that the Potter books have been instrumental in turning more children on to reading.​

Status
Not open for further replies.