• Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gap Fill Exercise

Below is some text from the BBC with some words removed. See if you can guess what words could go in the gaps:

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. ______ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the ______ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had ______ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been ______ in more than 200 ______ and translated into 60 ______ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth ______, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK ______.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury ______ the series had "entered the ______ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented ______ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Teachers and publishers acknowledge that the Potter books have been instrumental in turning more children on to reading.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here: Author, figures, begun, sold, countries, languages, book, bookstores?, that, record, number

:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gap Fill Exercise

Is it just guessing?
    Should not there be any list of words to chose from?

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Just guessing...

Why not have a go? You don't have to guess the exact words, just make the text make sense with your chosen words.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try your exercise, although it's difficult for me even to make the text make sense.
    I hope someone else follow me.

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. _The_ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the _news_ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had _begun_ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _published_ in more than 200 _countries_ and translated into 60 _languages_ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth _series_, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK _only_.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury _that_ the series had "entered the _bestseller_ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented _scale_ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Teachers and publishers acknowledge that the Potter books have been instrumental in turning more children on to reading.

I hope some are correct!!!
    Harry Potter books are so popular in the world, but I haven't read any of them.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. _The- this doesn't work because we don't use articles with names_ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the _news (OK, but do we confirm news? It's OooK, but sounds a bit odd)_ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had _begun_ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _published_ in more than 200 _countries_ and translated into 60 _languages_ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth _series (No- it's the fifth book but there is only one series)_, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK _only (You had the right idea here, but I'm afraid it's not the correct word- 1/2 right)_.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury _that (yes)_ the series had "entered the _bestseller (hmmm- I think you mean the bestselling list)_ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented _scale (A good attempt, but do we talk of a scale of sales- again, your idea is good, though)_ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Post Thanks / Like

Where?
    Below is above?

?:D

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It was below when he started.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here it goes.. I just made some guessing as you said..

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. _The_ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the _meeting_ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had _started__ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _
    published_ in more than 200 _copies_ and translated into 60 _languages_ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth _
    edition_, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK _shops_.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher
    Bloomsbury __that__ the series had "entered the __bestseller__ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented _level_ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Red 5,
    Please give us the exact words.
    I would like to know what is wrong and what is orrect.

R.S.V.P.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast