Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
My religion is against recommendation. Telling somebody in authority that someone will be a suitable person.
Suppose I am an officer. I have a friend. He tells me about one of his relatives to be selected for the job and I choose him without looking at other candidates' documents.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not right or wrong. It's just a phrase. Give it to us in a short sentence. Then we can answer your question.

Naeem Afzal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thank you, bhaisahab.

Can I also say "nepotism is a curse"?

Thank you, Charlie, but I'm not sure what you want me to do. Here is a short sentence: "recommendation is wrong", "recommendation is a curse".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the OP's defence, "Recommendation is a curse" is a short sentence!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say though. If you wish that people wouldn't recommend their friends and relatives to you, then "Recommendations are a curse" would be appropriate. If you're actually trying to say that choosing someone based on a recommendation without considering other candidates is immoral, then bhai's "Nepotism is wrong/unethical" is appropriate.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you mean "Why did the poster not give the name of his/her religion instead of writing 'My religion'?" then the answer is simply that he/she does not have to give any personal information he/she doesn't want to.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi.:-D

No. My apologies for not being clear—and it is always my fault. Generally speaking, I did mean instead of writing my religion, why don't we say in Christianity, in Islam, and/or in Judaism, please?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, bhaisahab.

Can I also say "nepotism is a curse"?

Thank you, Charlie, but I'm not sure what you want me to do. Here is a short sentence: "recommendation is wrong", "recommendation is a curse".

I was asking for a complete sentence. Sentences start with capital letters, end with periods, exclamation points, or question marks, and generally have a noun and verb.

Now I see that your phrase is supposed to be a sentence. To make it a sentence, use a capital and a period. "Recommendation is a curse." "Recommendation is wrong." Without capitalization and punctuation, your question was very confusing.

Your sentence does not say what you want to say clearly. The suggestions people have been making are good.

If you do nothing else, give recommendation an article: "A recommendation is wrong." "A recommendation is a curse."

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi.:-D

No. My apologies for not being clear—and it is always my fault. Generally speaking, I did mean instead of writing my religion, why don't we say in Christianity, in Islam, and/or in Judaism, please?

The writer can choose whether to specify the religion or not.

Naeem Afzal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
@Charlie

Is "recommendation is a curse" correct?

Do I have to put a full-stop after "curse"? I think one of the teachers of this website told me not to use in this case. And I should use a question mark at the end, that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.