Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
A: what else is different about being a mother versus being a grandmother?
B: Being a mother you are totally responsible for your child. You are trying to raise them the best you know how to raise them and you're young and everything that you do you know that will be picked up by your child.

what does "to be picked up by someone" means in this text?
thanks in advance.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The grammar of B is so tortured that it is difficult to guess its meaning. I suspect that the writer is trying to say that a young mother, in trying to raise her child as well as she can, must be aware that the child will understand and emulate everything that its mother does.

j_wright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Phrasal Verbs are really very tough to memorize, i mean you just cant keep memorizing phrasal verb, at the end of the say i am 100% pure that you wont be able to recall any more than 2-3. what we should to is to go slow and take a few phrasal verbs at a time and use those in our day to day communication..

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
By happy coincidence, as an exercise in my CELTA class a good few years ago, dealing with phrasal verbs, my trainer used the phrasal verb 'pick up' and asked us all in turn to give a sentence using a distinct meaning of that verb. There were 14 trainees, not all native-speakers, and we had no trouble with the exercise.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.