Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please help me correct the following paragraph. Thanks!

As previously mentioned, disposable chopsticks are widely used in small restaurants and snack stands. Few people know they are not as hygienic as they seem. Food and Drug Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare reminds people three tips for choosing better disposable chopsticks. Nevertheless, the best solution is to use your own pair of reusable chopsticks for meals to protect the environment and your health. But as awareness spreads, you may notice people pulling out their own chopsticks when they dine at a noodle joint, or declining disposables when they grab a bento to go.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
May I ask what the purpose of this long piece about chopsticks is?

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It's a part of the conclusion of my topic report.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Reminds people of three tips" if you are using that construction.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please help me correct the following paragraph. Thanks!

As previously mentioned, disposable chopsticks are widely used in small restaurants and snack stands. Few people know they are not as hygienic as they seem. Food and Drug Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare reminds people three tips for choosing better disposable chopsticks. Nevertheless, the best solution is to use your own pair of reusable chopsticks for meals to protect the environment and your health. But as awareness spreads, you may notice people pulling out their own chopsticks when they dine at a noodle joint, or declining disposables when they grab a bento to go.

The first sentence is just fine. The second sentence leaves me :-?. (How hygienic do they seem?) If it's one organization, I would say: "The Food and Drug Administration, the Ministry of Health and Welfare..." Next try: "The best thing to do is to use your own pair of reusable chopsticks for meals to protect the environment and your health," Finally, try: "More and more often, people use their own chopsticks when they dine at a noodle joint, or decline disposables when they grab a bento to go."

(You seem to be getting better fast. :))

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What are you going to do with this "topic report" when you finish it?

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It's a group competition in my English class. Each group has to choose a topic and work on collecting stuff for the report. After finishing this report, each group has to make a verbal presentation at student center hall.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Will you be marked/graded on this report and presentation?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If he's going to be graded, I want some of the credit.

:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it's going to be graded, the OP needs to tell the competition judges that almost every single paragraph has been rewritten by teachers and native speakers. I consider it to be cheating in a competition. Thread closed.

Edit: Thread reopened - it turns out the OP is an ESL teacher looking for help in correcting the students' work and this is one of the pieces. I have asked the OP to amend their member profile to make it clear he/she is a teacher, to avoid such misunderstandings again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.