Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
Can you explain to me the meaning of " How many times do I have to tell you to simmer down"?
Is there same common expression to say the same thing?

Elisa

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have told you many times to calm down. You have not calmed down. How many times will I have to tell you to calm down before you actually calm down?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grammar and usage aside, I'll just say that in my experience, having someone tell me to "calm down" usually has the opposite effect. Especially if I am not actually very excited to start with. Being told to "simmer down" probably will make me even angrier.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are, however, people who need to be told to calm down or simmer down. I have been in bars with many of them.

Elisa70

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
In other words, "simmer down" is the same that "pull yourself together" or "cool It!".
Is that right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree about "Cool it" but not with "Pull yourself together".

"Simmer down/Calm down" suggest that someone is out of control with anger or frustration. Usually, someone being told to "Pull yourself together" is very upset or sad and is having a different kind of meltdown.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are, however, people who need to be told to calm down or simmer down. I have been in bars with many of them.

Maybe there are better ways of telling them than, errr, telling them. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It works for me. :snipersm:

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
For me "simmer down" would only be used in quite a specific situation. I imagine a teacher telling a group of children to be quiet. The other Phrasal verb to use here would be "shut up", which is of course too impolite for most situations. I think "simmer down" would be quite inappropriate if you tried to use it between adults. The person who hears this will probably understand you are calling him/her a child. I think this phrasal is just for teachers.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
In my opinion no, it is appropriate to use simmer down in a conversation with another adult, there is no indication of a relationship of adult and child in the phrase.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just think of a pot of soup boiling over onto the stove. You're saying: "Stop boiling over - to come down to a simmer."

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
(Not a Teacher. BrE first language speaker)

The only thing I might add is that to me "cool it" feels like a step up from telling someone to "simmer down", but a step below telling someone to "shut up".

I can't think of the last time I have said, or had to say, "simmer down" to anyone and agree with Barb_D it often has the opposite effect when used on other adults. To me it feels like the preserve of those that need to keep control such as teachers or the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.