Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Might you explain to me what's difference?

What book is this?
What is this book?
This is a black pen
This pen is black

Thanks

Marcel7355

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No one knows? I know it sounds simple, but I'd like to know, what differences between these sentences are.

teachforgood

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
Sorry Marcel. English really is a confusing language. The first sentence asks what TYPE of book it is - e.g. It is a textbook, notebook etc. The second one you ask when someone is talking about titles of books and you want to know what it is called.

E.G. Person 1 - "Oh the descriptions in the book were so long and boring but the plotline was fascinating. I read through the whole series in 5 months!"
Person 2 - "What book is this?"
Person 1 - "Game of Thrones"

The second - This is a black pen means a pen that you are holding or pointing at is black. This pen is black suggests that there are a lot of pens and out of that, one of them that you are pointing at is black.

HenryLin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry Marcel. English really is a confusing language. The first sentence asks what TYPE of book it is - e.g. It is a textbook, notebook etc. The second one you ask when someone is talking about titles of books and you want to know what it is called.

E.G. Person 1 - "Oh the descriptions in the book were so long and boring but the plotline was fascinating. I read through the whole series in 5 months!"
Person 2 - "What book is this?"
Person 1 - "Game of Thrones"

The second - This is a black pen means a pen that you are holding or pointing at is black. This pen is black suggests that there are a lot of pens and out of that, one of them that you are pointing at is black.
Yes, agreed with your brief explanation about sentence differences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.