Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
I know that the sentence "I think that we can hash out our problems" means that we can solve our problems. My question is; can I replace "hash out" with "figure out" or "work out" without change the meaning of the sentence? Are they synonymous for "solve"? (I'm not sure if I have to say 'synonymous of' or 'synonymous for', I checked it out on the net but I found both ways)

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The final result of hashing something out will be to resolve it, but 'to hash out' implies a lengthy and difficult process. This nuance isn't present in 'figure out' or 'work out' which would both require additional words to convey that same meaning.

I would say synonymous with.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can say a synonym of/for.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I would suggest that we use "hash out" specifically in situations where the most important and crucial aspects of a problem or business deal have already been agreed upon. We then "hash out" the details, safe in the knowledge that no major obstacles remain. Perhaps the Chief Executives go for coffee while the lawyers and accountants are left to hash out the details of the business merger.

Status
Not open for further replies.