Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hi,

I am looking for an idiom similar to "neat" or "straight" for scotch. But what I really want is an idiom for coffee without sugar. How is it called? Black coffee?

Thanks!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the U.S., there is no expression for that. We usually say "no sugar" or "with nothing in it." Most Americans don't say "neat," but some do, especially Anglophiles.

It's fine to say "straight" or "straight up" ordering coffee. The server will understand that you're making a little joke and that you don't want anything in your coffee.

Some people in the U.S. say "regular" when they order coffee, but it's dangerous, because "regular" means different things in different parts of the country. In some places it means to put nothing in it. In others, it means to add milk and sugar. In others, it's half-and-half and sugar. In others, it's just sugar.

So here in the U.S., it's safest and most common to say "coffee with nothing in it."

I don't know what they say in England.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, you can say "neat," "straight," or "straight up" for any hard liquor, not just scotch.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

I am looking for an idiom similar to "neat" or "straight" for scotch. But what I really want is an idiom for coffee without sugar. How is it called? Black coffee?

Thanks!

In AmE black coffee doesn't mean coffee without sugar. It means coffee without milk or cream.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Straight is the best thing I can think of in BrE.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Straight is the best thing I can think of in BrE.
Not being a sophisticated habitue of Starbucks/Costa/McDonalds etc [other brands are available], I am unfamiliar with that expression. The only way you could be absolutely sure of getting a sugar-free cup from me would be to say "no sugar".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.