Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, native speaker and teachers!

I'm still struggling with correct pronunciation of "snack". Whenever I say the word, more than80% of chance,
my friends in US recognize it as "snake" :cry:, even though I don't make ovious "/ei/" sound...

Glad I found this forum...

canadian45

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello, native speaker and teachers!

I'm still struggling with correct pronunciation of "snack". Whenever I say the word, more than80% of chance,
my friends in US recognize it as "snake" :cry:, even though I don't make obvious "/ei/" sound...

How do your US friends hear your pronunciation of other '..ack' words, such as 'back', 'crack', 'pack', 'stack', etc?
And do they feel that your '..ake' words are correct? Have them teach you how to pronounce both spellings correctly.

Do your US friends have a 'standard' American pronunciation? In what part of America are you?

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm still struggling with the correct pronunciation of "snack". Whenever I say the word, more than 80% of chance,
my friends in US recognize it as "snake" :cry:, even though I don't make obvious "/ei/" sound...
NOT A TEACHER
Could you record how you pronounce the word 'snack', both separately and in a sentence, and send it here please?
Furthermore, could you do the same thing with 'snake'?

anjalic4

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi, you know Snack and Snake have two different sounds. You should know that vowels have different sounds and here 'a' is used differently in both the words. the first is the same as 'cat'. bat, hat, pack,back and snack. snake-- take,shake, snake. The sound is that of the alphabet 'A'. hope thisd helps.:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you have the same problem with the word "back"? Do people think you're saying "bake"? If not, then you have the "a" sound in "back" correct and you simply need to replicate it in "snack".

John777

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even the english speakers in Australia have a hard time with pronouncing the 'a', which sounds like an I. Much of the time it is just your native accent that gets in the way. Just keep practicing those acks. It's really not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.