Other
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi,

Recently I started my own company, with my last name in it. I'm Dutch, so I don't really know how native English speaking people would pronounce my name, and I want it to be readable by people outside of my own country. My last name is Mooij, but I changed it to Mooy in my company name because I thought that was easier to read and pronounce for people from English speaking countries. I am however doubting this, so I want to ask the opinion of some native English speaking people here on this forum. My full company name right now is Mooy Sales & Consultancy, and I will change it to Mooij Sales & Consultancy if that sounds any better.

So how would you pronounce the two names, and which one sounds and reads better / more professionally?

Thanks in advance, you would help me a lot!

Remco

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's not much difference to me, but Mooji may have a slight edge, but it will sound like Muji.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd say Mui - stress on the 'u', and two definite syllables. I'd also pronounce 'Mooij' that way if I had to guess - only because I know that 'j' in German, as in 'ja', is pronounced 'y'.
But I could also be persuaded to say 'Moy' - ie. with a diphthong.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Ooops- misread the name. :-(

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mooy might be Moo-ee or moy (rhymes with boy)

Mooij might me moo-idge or moo-eej

I wouldn't know to recognize it was Dutch or German.

remcomooij

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
I'm sorry for my late reply. I thought I'd be notified by e-mail if somebody replied, but I didn't.

Anyway, thank you very much for your replies! It's very helpful. I finally know how you would pronounce it in English. And it is indeed like German, we pronounce the "J' as "y", and "ij" also as y.

Status
Not open for further replies.