Thread: Angela

Angela27 Guest

Default Angela

I have been tasked at work to check out our current standard letters that we use to respond to customer enquiries. One of the things that I have spotted is that we tend to overuse the use of capital letters, but I admit that I am getting confused where to draw the line. For instance, we have to refer to the "terms and conditions" of the account, "power of attorney", "death certificate", "direct debit". In all cases we capitalise these, but I'm just not sure that this is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Angela

Please give us the full sentence(s) in which you intend to use these words/phrases.

Edit :-

Capitalization depends so much on context and preference. Modern usage favors sparse rather than lavish use of capital letters.
    Last edited by panjandrum; 21-Apr-2006 at 13:12.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Angela

Quote Originally Posted by panjandrum
    Please give us the full sentence(s) in which you intend to use these words/phrases.
    Edit :-
    Capitalization depends so much on context and preference. Modern usage favors sparse rather than lavish use of capital letters.
    Example of sentences:

"We confirm that your direct debit has been amended"
    "We return your marriage certificate"
    "We are unable to update your account details as we require the original deed poll certificate"
    "We are unable to accept the copy of the marriage certificate"
    "We confirm that we have received the death certificate"
    "May we explain why we need to see the original death certificate"

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a look at some Australian Government publications about proof of identity. They capitalise words like Marriage Certificate and Driver's Licence in headings, but not in the text.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to add that I had a thread not long ago in another web-site which I searched for and quoted numerous "authorities" on the use of capital letters. If I recall correctly, they all seemed to agree on only one point:
    Be consistent.

The rules, especially for promotional writing, are non-existent.
    The objective should be clear communication. If your company or organization is making reference to important legal terms, and you wish to highlight those in the text, for clarity or the convenience of the reader, my personal, subjective preference would be to avoid capitals, but to use
    typographic changes, such as bold type or italics, where you wish to give a term added emphasis.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Angela

Quote Originally Posted by panjandrum
    I just want to add that I had a thread not long ago in another web-site which I searched for and quoted numerous "authorities" on the use of capital letters. If I recall correctly, they all seemed to agree on only one point:
    Be consistent.
    The rules, especially for promotional writing, are non-existent.
    The objective should be clear communication. If your company or organization is making reference to important legal terms, and you wish to highlight those in the text, for clarity or the convenience of the reader, my personal, subjective preference would be to avoid capitals, but to use
    typographic changes, such as bold type or italics, where you wish to give a term added emphasis.
    Thank you very much for your help, your response has given me the confidence to amend the letters we use and to feel comfortable about it.