Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users!

For the main engine of type MaK 8M32 with a rated power of 3600 kW an exhaust gas treatment system shall be arranged on the vessel to comply with the MARPOL SECA emission rules as of 2015 when operating on high sulfur HFO. The auxiliary engines operating on MGO (LS) are not part of the exhaust gas cleaning retrofit.

Does "to comply with the MARPOL SECA emission rules" mean "in order to comply with the MARPOL SECA emission rules"?

Taking into account the whole lengthy sentence, I suggest the following variant:
In case of the main engine of type MaK 8M32 with a rated power of 3600 kW an exhaust gas treatment system shall be arranged on the vessel in order that it (the system, of course) will/can/should comply with the MARPOL SECA emission rules as of 2015 when operating on high sulfur HFO.

Do you agree with my variant?

The system should comply with the aforementioned rules.

I may be wrong.

Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is nothing wrong with the original version. A system shall be arranged to comply.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't question the version.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yours is OK, if you want to use more words. As long as you use "will." You don't want to say that it "should" do it or "can" do it.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I did use "will" as follows (not on this forum):

For the main engine of type MaK 8M32 with a rated power of 3600 kW an exhaust gas treatment system shall be arranged on the vessel that/which will comply with the MARPOL SECA emission rules as of 2015 when operating on high sulfur HFO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.