Post Thanks / Like

Default Adverbs And Phrasal Verbs

Hello! How are you? I would like to know if this sentence is right. "Maybe next time we´ll go to the cinema". I don´t know if the adverb is well-placed. I was thinking of "Next time maybe we´ll go to the cinema" too. I think the first one is correct, but maybe the second one too. Can you help me, please?. About phrasal verbs I would like to know which one to choose. "Pull out or pull up". I want to say "Pull your heart "out-up"! I want to see it" in order to mean "I want someone cuts his-her heart and show it to me". I think it´s more common "pull out". Maybe I can use "pull up". I know the last one is used with "a plant, a flower...". "pull the rose up!", but if I use it in the first sentence, would it be o.k.? I don´t know if i make myself understood using "pull up". I think it´s better "pull out", but I heasitate, really.

Thanks a lot! Congratulations on your fabulous work!

Have a nice weekend!

Jesús.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adverbs And Phrasal Verbs

Quote Originally Posted by Jesule
    Hello! How are you? I would like to know if this sentence is right. "Maybe next time we´ll go to the cinema". I don´t know if the adverb is well-placed. I was thinking of "Next time maybe we´ll go to the cinema" too. I think the first one is correct, but maybe the second one too. Can you help me, please?
    Yes, I would say either one of those.
    There is a difference in meaning, which is more easily noted when commas are placed in each of the sentences.

Maybe, next time [we will go to the cinema].
    Here, you are qualifying where you will go the next time you go somewhere.

Next time, maybe we will go to the cinema.
    Here, you are qualifying who will go.

I cannot think of the rule that makes me want to give meanings to these sentences this way.This is just coming from my "gut" right now. I can confirm that "Maybe next time..." is more commonly used.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adverbs And Phrasal Verbs

As for the phrasal verbs, I think you'll have to say, "Cut out your heart", as that is what you mean. With "pull out", you'd need to put the preposition after the object ("Pull your heart out") but that means to pluck out your heart without using any knives or other cutting instruments. It also sounds too much like "Eat your heart out", which is an idiom meaning: "You have reason to be jealous."

"Pull up" implies a very definite upwards movement: you pull up plants because you have to pull them upwards to remove them from the soil; you can also pull your socks up. Also, when airline pilots "pull up", they pull on the controls to make the plane climb; car drivers "pull up" when they come to a halt.