[Grammar] Does a subordinate clause turns into part of the subject in the complex sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear members and teachers:

I would like to know if the subordinate clause becomes part of the subject in the complex sentence when joined with the main one.

1) The man is my brother.

2) The man is standing in the corner.

Since the two clauses above have a person as a subject, the relative pronoun who, which is used as subject when related to person, must be used in order to join both clause to turn them into one clause as below.

3) The man who is standing in the corner is my brother.

By analysing the complex sentence I have the following:

a) The subordinate clause who is standing in the corner, which was added to the subject noun of the main clause, is now the adjective of this subject noun.

b) The relative pronoun who ─which is use as subject─ is substituting the subject noun of the the subordinate or dependent clause, and introducing/relating the subordinate clause in the complex sentence with the main one.

c) My brother is the complement of the first clause, as well as the complement of the complex sentence.

QUESTION

Is the subject noun of the main clause the man plus the subordinate clause who is standing in the corner the subject of the complex sentence, being now the subject (the man who is standing in the corner)?

I will deeply appreciate your help and assistance in this issue.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is a complex question. The simple subject of the sentence is "man". The complete subject of the sentence is the simple subject with all of its modifiers. That includes the article before "man" and the relative clause that modifies "man".

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you MikeNewYork.

This clears out my doub.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're welcome, but it is not necessary to create a new post to say thank you. Just click on the "thank" button on the lower left side of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.