Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello.!:-D:-D.
Im new here n i just want to know your suggestion on how i can improve my speking skills.living among people who doesnt speak english with me giving some trouble to practice it...so can you all suggest something to me?

Hatem Tarek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Practice With Native English Speakers ,And Non Native English Speaker . Speak With Your Friends In English , I Did That Yesterday It Might Be Silly , But It Really Helps , Also Talk To Yourself .
Here's Usefull Sites To Practice Speaking
1-Sharedtalk.com
2-Interpals.com

Cheers ;-)

sumitsssrt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Im new here n i just want to know your suggestion on how i can improve my speking skills.living among people who doesnt speak english with me giving some trouble to practice it...so can you all suggest something to me?
There is no magic science that can improve your speakiing skills. All you need to follow some steps given below

1.Don’t ever get afraid of English
Firstly you need to get over the fear that you cannot speak in English. It is only due to lack of confidence. But it is really the game of practicing only. And rest, have faith in you because no one is born winner everyone have to fight to win.
2. Start from the base
If English is not your mother language then you firstly need to understand its basics. So learn all the tenses of English and try to make sentence on the basis of these tenses. With this you will get complete idea that in time which type of sentences should I use. Let’s consider an example.
I go to the market. (Present Tense-Current time)
I went to the market. (Past Tense-Passed time)
I will go to the market. (Future Tense-Upcoming time)
3. Read English magazine, comics and Newspapers
Read newspaper but oh no Its really seems boring, so an English magazine or comic whatever you like, start learning them. I recommend all of these because in newspapers there are about 150 words which are repeated again and again and once you have good command on those words you will be able to understand the meaning of complete article written in English.
4. Watch movies with English subtitles
When I was a student there were many teachers who told me that watch English movies and I also tried to watch English movies but I just used to get bored from these movies. The main reason was that I never understood what they talk in English. Then one day, one of my teacher told me that watch movies but in your language and with English subtitles. This will help you a lot in learning English. I did the same and it really helped me a lot so you can also try this if you are not able to understand English movies.
Also Read: How to improve your English vocabulary skills?
5. Speak in front of mirror
Speaking English in front of mirror seems idiotic but ask all of those who did this and really improved their English skills. As I think this is the first time when anyone starts speaking English. It gives you confidence that yes if you can speak in front of you then you can speak in front of all. And after that start speaking in English in front of others which give you real experience.
6. Join English speaking classes if you don’t have good environment at home
Yes it is a very critical step because as a writer I never say that join an English classes. But if you do not have environment in which you can talk in English then go to English classes. The reason being for it is simple because you should keep in touch of those who speak in English and at least English coaching center is the same place.

All the Very Best

Last edited by a moderator:

fxtrue

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
You can see english movie, read englisg story.. I hope it will help you.

afrida

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia

Hi..I'll try to give suggestion to you about how to improve your speaking skill. i live among people who do not speak English same with you. and my speaking skill is not good enough. but, I'll try to help you in improving your speaking. i wanna ask you first, are you a student? if you're a student, it will be easy to improve your speaking. firstly, you can practice it when you speak with your friend everyday. secondly, you can record yourself when you speak. Though we hear ourselves all the time, we really don't know quite what we sound like. So record yourself! What are the weak and strong points you hear in your speech? And then you can concentrate on what you need to work on.
have a nice try :)

alfajriyah17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Well, I once knew about how to improve speaking skill from A.J Hoge, and I practice it.
He said that we can learn speaking through listening.
How could it be?
First, try to listen podcast or mini-story that in the end of it there will be questions. Then, after listening, try to answer the questions by speaking.
Actually, we have same case. I love speaking English but I cannot practice it with Native English. In other hands, I practice what A.J Hoge Suggested, then day by day I can improve not only speaking skill, but listening skill also.
If you are interested in A.J Hoge's suggestion or course, please visit http://effortlessenglishclub.com/
Hopefully, it can help you

TeddyAllen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Make sure to improve your pronunciation. If you pronounce a word correctly, it will be helpful for your listening skill. And when you can understand what people say, you can confidently raise your voice and communicate.
Be confident, that's the key! ;-)

elstudents

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Imagine that you are at the stage performing. Think of an interesting movie you watched recently and try to tell about it in English. Imagine that you need to tell people about the movie that they have not seen yet and you want them to watch it because it is very interesting to you. Speak aloud and try to listen to your voice. It might be strange at first but then you will get in to it.
If you notice that you are making many mistakes while speaking, analyse them and try to say correctly next time. It is important do not be shy that your English is far from being perfect. Analysing and persistent practice will do a good job for you.
You may find the following ideas interesting too.. http://www.elstudents.com/Tips-to-improve-your-English.php

eleni_d

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
UK
Watching English (or American) films/TV series will help a lot because you'll have the chance to learn phrases and expressions used in everyday life that usually cannot be found in textbooks. I think it's the easiest way to improve both listening and speaking skills since you'll also have fun by doing it and you won't feel like studying or doing a chore.

gina777

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's recommended to speak slower.

As for being able to speak fluent English, ideally it would be good to watch a lot of American films and TV shows so that you can get used to speaking it off the cuff.

But, in a formal, public speaking context, it is best to study your material beforehand, learn it inside out - so that the way you express it for your audience will be spontaneous. And then, remember to speak really slowly so that you can avoid stuttering and you can deliver it in a very poised and presentable manner. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that there is no reason to limit your watching to American films and TV shows (as gina777 suggested). To help you with all the variants of English, make sure you listen to as many different variants as you can - British, American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, South African (and others) - they all have different accents and listening to them will help you deal with international English speakers.

Aelito

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Hey ! I'm a Belgium guy so I speak French first. I've always loved the English language since I started to learnt it, almost three years ago. I think I can write correctly even if native English speakers will quickly understand that it's my first language. To me, learning grammar, conjugation, words is way easier than to speak the language itself.

I can speak it for I've been using my own methods. Let me tell you : I'm shy, I really can't talk with people in English easily when I have to, and unfortunately I've never had the chance to talk with English people. And yet, I've found ways to improve my speaking skills.

The best is : Talk to yourself when you're alone, walking in the street, going back from school. It's like if you talked with someone but without the disadvantages. Yes, you don't have to be shy to yourself, you're alone, no one is here to hear you. Also, it allows you to start over the sentences you've said badly.

Watch lots of English (British and American and even other ones) shows, TV series, movies. Repeat what people say ^^

That's all I use ^^

stevesebastian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
*Reading English Magazines
*Watching English Movie and try to speak the dialogue with same pronounciation
*Group Discussion with Friends

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Listening BBC Radio.

tizianogrifoni

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
United States

I know it is frustrating when you are learning a new language and want to practice but cannot find people who speak that language to practice with. Look for clubs or association in your city where members speak the language you want to learn or simply go to Skype and connect with people there. I hope this helps. Tiziano

tizianogrifoni

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
United States
I know it is frustrating when you are learning a new language and want to practice but cannot find people who speak that language to practice with. Look for clubs or association in your city where members speak the language you want to learn or simply go to Skype and connect with people there. I hope this helps. Tiziano

Natalia Marisse

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines

There is no magic science that can improve your speakiing skills. All you need to follow some steps given below

1.Don’t ever get afraid of English
Firstly you need to get over the fear that you cannot speak in English. It is only due to lack of confidence. But it is really the game of practicing only. And rest, have faith in you because no one is born winner everyone have to fight to win.
2. Start from the base
If English is not your mother language then you firstly need to understand its basics. So learn all the tenses of English and try to make sentence on the basis of these tenses. With this you will get complete idea that in time which type of sentences should I use. Let’s consider an example.
I go to the market. (Present Tense-Current time)
I went to the market. (Past Tense-Passed time)
I will go to the market. (Future Tense-Upcoming time)
3. Read English magazine, comics and Newspapers
Read newspaper but oh no Its really seems boring, so an English magazine or comic whatever you like, start learning them. I recommend all of these because in newspapers there are about 150 words which are repeated again and again and once you have good command on those words you will be able to understand the meaning of complete article written in English.
4. Watch movies with English subtitles
When I was a student there were many teachers who told me that watch English movies and I also tried to watch English movies but I just used to get bored from these movies. The main reason was that I never understood what they talk in English. Then one day, one of my teacher told me that watch movies but in your language and with English subtitles. This will help you a lot in learning English. I did the same and it really helped me a lot so you can also try this if you are not able to understand English movies.
Also Read: How to improve your English vocabulary skills?
5. Speak in front of mirror
Speaking English in front of mirror seems idiotic but ask all of those who did this and really improved their English skills. As I think this is the first time when anyone starts speaking English. It gives you confidence that yes if you can speak in front of you then you can speak in front of all. And after that start speaking in English in front of others which give you real experience.
6. Join English speaking classes if you don’t have good environment at home
Yes it is a very critical step because as a writer I never say that join an English classes. But if you do not have environment in which you can talk in English then go to English classes. The reason being for it is simple because you should keep in touch of those who speak in English and at least English coaching center is the same place.

All the Very Best

This pretty much sums it all up! I do want to add that you should not be afraid of making mistakes. Most of the time, English learners, or learners of other languages for that matter, scrutinize each and every single word they say, and focus on mistakes. This slows down the process of learning. The key is to keep on practicing. Just listening to native English is not enough. You have to actually practice it. If you don't have anyone to practice it with, then you have to find materials that would allow you to practice English speaking on your own. There are a lot of resources online. Also, when you use a learning material, don't just use it once. Use it repeatedly everyday. Think of when you learn how to play a guitar. When you stop using the guitar for some time, you forget how to play it, or at least not be as good with it as you were before. Hope this helps. :)

Annema

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
I'm Anne from [link removed] This is a skill community marketplace connceting people, a place where you can find Pros and Learners with diverse and knowledge covering all lifestyle from art, music, language,....
You can create your own classes or lessons for FREE.
Bigwisdoms is the easy and unique way to meet real people, both PROs and LEARNERs.

We started small but will be big. 1% of profits will be contributed to people who don’t have much opportunity to be educated across the world.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:

...p

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You all say about talk with yourself. But how I will know, if I make mistake?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't matter if you make a mistake. Just get used to the sound and the feel of speaking English. Become comfortable with the sound of your own voice. Many people are reticent about speaking in a foreign language because they think they sound silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.