Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Culture of silence

it seems to me that Americans talk a lot and they speak breathlessly. Is that American culture that I dont know. Do English and American people value silence?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by loctantruong; 24-Apr-2006 at 09:29.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Culture of silence

While I wouldn't say that silence isn't valued at all, people tend to try to keep a conversation going and do not like long breaks, so in that sense, yes.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with tdol

Post Thanks / Like

Silence is valued by teachers in a classroom. Not that they ever get any. ;P

I have friends that don't like loud people, but they still don't like total silence. Then there's people that enjoy silence, and there's the people that have to have noise all the time and are constantly talking loudly. It all depends on the person, but there are more people, especially younger people, that don't like long pauses in conversation. I know I don't.

Post Thanks / Like

To be silence or not depends on their personality. People who speak much called extrovet(please check the spelling) and the oppsite people who like silence most is introvet. This is related with their language aptitude, introvet good in english text analysis but poor in pronounciation and it happens to my lecturers :D. How about extrovet? He like practice English much than studying grammar a lot ;)

What is your language aptitude? :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikenike
    To be silence or not depends on their personality. People who speak much called extrovet(please check the spelling) and the oppsite people who like silence most is introvet. This is related with their language aptitude, introvet good in english text analysis but poor in pronounciation and it happens to my lecturers :D. How about extrovet? He like practice English much than studying grammar a lot ;)

What is your language aptitude? :)
    extrovert - introvert
    It should not affect language skills. According to the famous/infamous (depending on your point of view) Myers-Briggs Type Indicator extroverts tend to focus their attention on the outer world of people and things while introverts focus their attention on the inner world of ideas and impressions.
    ex - not very outgoing, detail oriented
    in - happy go lucky

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Culture of silence

i do believe silence is valued differently in different cultures. but i think that also has a lot to do with the personalilties of the speakers involved in a conversation. extroverted ppl tend to talk more while introverted ppl would hold their stance as the practice of "silence is gold"

sometimes i myself feel uneasy for the sudden silence in an ongoing conversation, and mostly i would even consider it a failure of not having quick responses of having something to say...

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

There are ways in which British and Americans differ- the British are less likely to start up conversations in certain sittuations, like elevators, where we'll happily travel in complete silence, which Americans seem to start talking.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll travel in silence, too, but we won't like it. :P It's a really uncomfortable silence and is the butt of many commercial jokes (they even make fun of it in Spiderman 2).

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it very difficult to talk in such circumstances- I find the silence much more comfortable than trying to fill a journey down four floors with words.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast