Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi guys...

Here, I want to ask you...
Actually, most of people using modern phone that provide many kinds of application now.
Instant messenger provided in now mobile-phone, such as wechat, whatApp, kakao-talk, bbm, etc.

In your opinion, does the instant messenger useful for English learning? If yes, What kind of activity you should apply in teaching learning process by using instant messenger?

Smart Forum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I'm NOT a teacherYes, It can be...I think, IM can be used to discuss, to post your task easily for your students, etc.

Ayu Aprilia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thank you for your comment...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Be careful with it, though. Instant message service users frequently use textspeak/chatlish. If you want to use it for teaching or learning a language you need to make sure that you (and the people you contact) don't fall into the trap of things like u/thx/pls/dat.

Note that we don't end sentences with ... as you did in your last post. A single, appropriate punctuation mark suffices every time.

FirnandoSmitzt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I am not a teacher.

In my opinion. Instant messenger has the usefulness in teaching learning English. For Example: The teacher can give the students assignment in easy way. It can be done anywhere and anytime. In this era, technology is very important. So, by using IM, the teacher also teach students to following the modern era.
:-D

nur_azizah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Not a teacher

I think IM mesenger in teaching learning English is good.. because the students can chat with their classmate or their groups without go to the anywhere to discuss. it can save the time and money,:-D

Last edited by a moderator:

petterinze

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Malaysia
In my opinion, IM is useful but not the most effective tool.
Both of students and teacher will be easy to share, discuss whatever they difficult in learning. The teacher also can announce, inform the students about the lesson at that time.

Hikutoya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am not a teacher.

I think, it's quiet unfair. Why? because it's worried if there are some students who don't have phone. Or they have phone, but have to spend much money to buy pulse. It means that the students who don't have money, they cannot follow the learning process.

fffalizor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's useful but might be hard to use as part of an activity, but I think it would be great if students are encouraged to talk with other students using IM but only using English. If they IM other people using English only, it also gets them used to words that they may use commonly in their everyday lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.