Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hy...I'm Indonesian people, of course my pronunciation it is not well.

Good pronunciation is essential for speaking and understanding spoken English well.

How can I improve my pronunciation?

marcin21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
[STRIKE]Hy[/STRIKE]Hi...I'm Indonesian [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE], of course my pronunciation it is not [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] good.

Good pronunciation is essential for speaking and understanding spoken English well.

How can I improve my pronunciation?

Hi Devi_Dwi_Rahayu,

First of all, I noticed some mistakes in your post and dared to correct them above. Take a look.

In my opinion, the best way to improve the pronunciation is to talk as much as you can with native speakers or at least with someone who can pronounce correctly. A conversation is always the best way to learn any foreign language and English is no exception. It could be difficult, especially if you learn English by yourself. If you can't do this, try listening to spoken English as much and as frequently as you can. It's not a big problem in today's world - let's say all you need is an Internet connection. Find radio
or TV stations where English is used (e.g. BBC) that broadcast via the Internet. This way you improve not only your way of speaking but also listening comprehension. It worked for me.

It usually takes some time. Be patient, take your time over it!

Regards,
marcin21

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thank you Marcin21.
You give me information about it.

LinkTest

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Thailand
Pronunciation Training Websites

Here are some websites that have been very helpful and fun for my Thai, Japanese, and Korean students who need to improve their English pronunciation. Does anyone know any other sites for pronunciation?

Math words: [LINK REMOVED]
Science words: [LINK REMOVED]
General topics: [LINK REMOVED]

Youtube video: [LINK REMOVED

My students often don't realize that their pronunciation is so different from native English speech. (They have already formed their bad pronunciation habits in Thai, Japanese, Korean, etc. schools.) The math and science pronunciation sites above include a 'hint' feature - students can hear a native voice pronounce the word and then students can try to mimic that word. If the student can pronounce the word at or near native level, the student gets a point and a new word to pronounce. Anyway, please give me any feedback. I can alter these sites, so your advice is very welcome. The current sites are set to "American" English, but can be reset to British, Canadian, Kiwi, or Australian English.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Pronunciation Training Websites

Linktest, please note that your post went into moderation because it contained unauthorised links. Users cannot post links until they have made at least ten posts and we check all links.
Your username makes it look as if you are just here to post links to your own sites. If that's the case, we ask you to desist. Your sites might be very helpful but we would ask that you take the time to use this forum as a volunteer before considering advertising sites you manage.

Please take some time to look around the site and answer learners' questions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Listen to a lot and try speaking in front of a mirror. Also, record yourself and compare the playback to other speakers.

LinkTest

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Thailand
One way to improve your pronunciation is to record your voice. Then, compare your recording to a native speaker's voice.

If you use Google translate, you can type in a word or phrase and click the "play" button. A native English sounding voice will read the word or phrase.

Listen you your recording and the Google translate voice. Try to notice the differences. You should try to speak with the same vowel sounds, consonant sounds, and intonation patterns.

Good luck!

kari999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
Hi Devi_Dwi_Rahayu,

First of all, I noticed some mistakes in your post and dared to correct them above. Take a look.

In my opinion, the best way to improve the pronunciation is to talk as much as you can with native speakers or at least with someone who can pronounce correctly. A conversation is always the best way to learn any foreign language and English is no exception. It could be difficult, especially if you learn English by yourself. If you can't do this, try listening to spoken English as much and as frequently as you can. It's not a big problem in today's world - let's say all you need is an Internet connection. Find radio
or TV stations where English is used (e.g. BBC) that broadcast via the Internet. This way you improve not only your way of speaking but also listening comprehension. It worked for me.

It usually takes some time. Be patient, take your time over it!

Regards,
marcin21

I agree with that absolutely :) I'm from Russia and I had some problems with that too but now after year of practice it's much better

cwstudios

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Absolutely think that the best way to improve is to spend time (a lot of it!) talking with native speakers. It's also important to closely listen too.

DOTOKATA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Not a teacher

you can listen to music with subtitles and repeat after the singer, it helps improve your speaking skill. A great number of people who are english leraners just listen to songs or study grammer rules,but people who hardly study grammer rules can speak well, it depends practising

Last edited by a moderator:

Prolingousa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Improving your pronunciation takes time and dedicated practice. The goal is clear speech and that may involve quite a few areas to work on depending on how strong a person accent may be. I recommend getting a professional's opinion so you know exactly what you need to work on and they will provide you with the type of feedback you will need to make the necessary adjustments.

Some general tips would be to slow down your speaking rate if you happen to be a fast speaker. This alone can help pronunciation with a lot of people. Second, exaggerate your speech sounds especially at the end of words. You want to finish the words so that you say "thinking" instead of "thinkin." Third, video or audio record yourself so you see first hand how you present yourself to others. Last, identify a speech role model-find someone whose speech is pleasant to your ear. It can be a radio or TV personality or colleague. Try to emulate those desirable features.

Again, practice whenever, wherever and with whomever you can. Use every speaking situation as an opportunity to practice your best speech technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.