Linguistic experiment! I need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arina Haenraets

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Ladies and gentlemen! Dear native English speakers! It won`t take you a lot of time!
I`m writing a research paper on manipulative power of words! Please, help me to conduct my experiment and do the folowing task:

Decide which words and phrases best fit each space (It should be noted that this is a speech of an extremely famous politician).

And that’s why Russia’s 1)_______ of international law, its 2)________ 3) ________, must be met with 4) _______, not because we’re trying to keep Russia down, but because the principles that have meant so much to Europe and the world must be lifted up.
Over the last several days, the United States, Europe and our partners around the world have been united in defense of these ideals and united in support of 5) ________. Together, we’ve 6) ________Russia’s 7) ________Ukraine and 8) ________the legitimacy of the Crimean referendum. Together, we 9) ________Russia politically, 10) _______ it from the G-8 nations and 11) ________our bilateral ties. Together, we are imposing costs through sanctions that 12) _______on Russia and those 13)_______its actions.
And if the Russian leadership stays on its current course, together, we will ensure that this isolation 14) _______. Sanctions 15) _______, and the toll on Russia’s economy, as well as its standing in the world, 16) ___only _______.
And meanwhile, the United States and our 17) _______will continue to 18) _______the government of Ukraine as they chart a democratic course. Together, we are going to provide a/an 19) _______package of assistance that can help stabilize the Ukrainian economy and meet the basic needs of the people.
Make no mistake, 20) __________________________.

1) A. contravention B. violation C. breach D. infraction E. non-observance F. flouting G. defiance H. breaking

2) A. onslaught on B. attack on C. offensive against D. assault on E. act of aggression against F. campaign against G. incursion on H. foray into

3) A. Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity B. Ukraine

4) A. criticism B. condemnation C. castigation D. reproof E. objurgation F. disapproval G. denunciation

5) A. Ukraine B. the Ukrainian people C. the government of Ukraine

6) A. criticized B. condemned C. castigated D. reproved E. denounced F. rebuked G. berated

7) A. assault on B. attack on C. incursion on D. invasion of

8) A. rejected B. declined C. spurned D. turned down D. refused E. rebuffed

9) A. have segregated B. have alienated C. have sidelined D. have cut off E. have isolated F. have frozen out G. have secluded

10) A. ejecting B. suspending C. expelling D. eliminating E. removing F. debarring G. excluding

11) A. relegating B. disparaging C. belittling D. downgrading E. depreciating

12) A. have had an effect B. have left a mark

13) A. responsible for B. liable for C. answerable for D. accountable for E. chargeable for F. duty-bound to G. culpable for

14) A. escalates B. degenerates C. deepens D. deteriorates E. spirals F. comes to the boil G. slides H. accelerates I. intensifies J. grows K. mushrooms

15) A. will expand B. will enlarge C. will swell D. will widen

16) A. will proliferate B. will increase D. will mushroom E. will snowball F. will multiply G. will escalate H. will soar I. will surge

17) A. associates B. partners C. supporters D. allies E. friends

18) A. momentous B. significant C. noteworthy D. weighty E. remarkable F. great G. fundamental H. important

19) A. align B. support C. sympathize with D. back E. endorse F. ally with

20) A. neither the United States nor Europe has any interest in controlling Ukraine
B. both the United States and Europe has no interest in controlling Ukraine

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you want people to answer as if they were the politician? If not,I can't see how the exercise works without knowing the position of the person answering. The piece is also political, and some members may feel it is biased.

PS 20 B) should be have, not has.

Arina Haenraets

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Do you want people to answer as if they were the politician? If not,I can't see how the exercise works without knowing the position of the person answering. The piece is also political, and some members may feel it is biased.

PS 20 B) should be have, not has.

Thank you so much for your remark!
People shouldn`t do the task as if they are the politician. The thing is, that people should choose words according to their own feelings. I`m interested whether they will choose more neutral words or more emotional ones. Then I will compare answers of my respondents to the original speech. I will find out whether people tend to "smooth things over" or not! It is an extremely interesting thing! Please, help me to get as much respondents as it is possible. As far as I understand you are an administrator, and I need your help badly! May be you can advise something to me? How can I draw people`s attention to my experiment?

P.S. As for the "mistake"....Thank you for your comment and criticism, but in the genuine speech there is "has" instead of "have", and I have no right to correct it!

Status
Not open for further replies.