Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
American Samoa
kindly ,find the weakness point in this essay

Stop and frisk

If there is a building where a window is damaged, it could lead to a crash of the whole building. The Broken window theory is an interesting theory. It was the foundation for stop and frisk Law, which revolved around a lot of doubts and problems in the past decade. It also faced a lot of rejection from the civilian population and members of police department. Because under the stop and frisk exception, the police can stop people on the street and pat them down for anything illegal, as long as they have suspicion. Racial profiling also played a huge part in sB 250, because it became motivated by hatred of black or Hispanic.
Every action has a reaction. The use of pressure by the Police Department on their members to achieve the most number of stop and frisk led to a high rate of random searches on the street. In the interview with the police commissioner, Ray Kelly said, “that people are comfortable with this law.” when the media asked him about the reason that 87% of those who were stopped were Africans American or Latino, he replied that “the general appearance is why.” Ray Kelly and Mayor Michael Bloomberg supported this law, which led to the rate rise of the stop and frisk to 600%. In the past decade, the police have stopped about 1800 people a day to be searched without a charge against them. Julio Valentin , NYPD officer Ret. A professor in John Day college of criminal justice, said in an interview that “one percent of those who stopped were unarmed ,and that is frightening that (stop and frisk) became just a numbers game where they are compared to what struck the policeman in the past year and the police man are Compelled to do it” .

Being a human being with a different appearance does not mean you are a criminal. Alvin was a simple civilian, who was stopped by the police more than once, he recorded what happened. The video showed the invective, threats, and ill-treatment suffered at the hand of the police. This video was the spark that ignited the rejection against this law. The day after the Nation published this video, the New York police department stops the sB250. The district court judge for the southern district of New York, found stop and frisk to be unconstitutional and racially discriminatory. In addition to the testimony against the police department from the police men that suffered from not having a union to protect them and support them.

As for Racial profile, it played a serious role in stopping and searching a lot of civilians based on race, age, or style of wearing apparel as well as religion. Judge Shira Scheindlin wrote “no one should live in fear of being stopped whenever leaves his home to go about the activities of daily life.” Judge shira found that the police department resorted to a policy indirect racial profiling. As it increased the number of stops in minority communities. That has led to officers routinely stopping blacks and Hispanics who would not have been stopped if they were white.

Finally, if society dose not trust the police, who can they trust? Society will be an easy target for drug dealers and criminals, because there is no link between the people and the police. Also, if there are elements such as justice, trust, and respect between the police and the people that ingredient will be a good Fence to protect the community. Every citizen in the community, regardless of race, religion, age or color, must have a solid claim with the most important vital organ: the police.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

When will you submit your essay to your English teacher for marking/grading?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, if you had read any of the previous threads in this section you might have noted that I said: "Space between paragraphs." Second, you don't have The Broken Window Theory quite right. (It doesn't say that a whole building will collapse if a window is broken.) I suggest that you repost that being sure to space between paragraphs. Then I might make some more suggestions. (Keep in mind that we are not supposed to do your homework.)

:)

dalia malak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
American Samoa
i already submit this one last week but i have to do new one and i want to recognize my weak points so i can avoid them in the future .and thank you for quick respond.
thanks allot

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I wanted to remind you that the word "hatred" (in the last sentence of your first paragraph) is a very strong word in English.

If you ever decide to let people (besides your teacher) read this paragraph, you might consider revising that sentence.

Some other points:

1. I would not refer to the police as a "vital organ." (The heart, for example, is a vital organ.)

2. That magazine should be referred to as the Nation (italics). (I am assuming that you wrote it on a computer.)

3. You referred to "Judge Shira Scheindlin." Then you referred to "Judge Shira." If you do not wish to use his first and last name, then it should be "Judge Scheindlin."

I think that you did a very good job. I understood everything that you wrote.

James

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I already submitted this one last week but I have to do a new one and I want to recognize my weak points so I can avoid them in the future. [strike]and[/strike] Thank you for your quick [strike]respond[/strike] responses.
Thanks [strike]allot[/strike] a lot.

One of your weak points (based on this post) is capitalisation. Remember the following rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Capitalise proper nouns.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, exclamation mark or question mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, exclamation mark or question mark.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Broken window theory is an interesting theory.

The Broken Window Theory states that if a window gets broken and it is not repaired that it could lead to the deterioration of the entire neighborhood.

Is your statement factual that the stop and frisk law is based on the Broken Window Theory?

(If you quote somebody you should make sure you do it accurately.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stop and frisk

The Broken Window Theory is an interesting theory. It was the foundation for the stop and frisk law, which was a response to a lot of problems with crime in the past decade. It also faced a lot of opposition from the civilian population and members of police department. Because under the stop and frisk exception, the police can stop people on the street and pat them down for anything illegal, as long as they suspect possible illegal activity. Racial profiling also played a huge part in sB 250, because it became motivated by hatred of blacks and Hispanics.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because under the stop and frisk exception, the police can stop people on the street and pat them down as long as they suspect them of illegal activity. Racial profiling also played a huge part in sB 250, because it was motivated by hatred of blacks or Hispanics.

Every action has a reaction. The use of pressure by the Police Department on their members to achieve the most number of stop and frisks led to a high rate of random searches on the street. In an interview, the police commissioner, Ray Kelly said, “that people are comfortable with this law.” When the media asked him why 87% of those who were stopped were African Americans or Latinos, he replied that “the general appearance is why.” In the past decade, the police have stopped about 1800 people a day to be searched without a charge against them. Julio Valentin , NYPD officer (Ret.), A professor in John Day college of criminal justice, said in an interview that “one percent of those who were stopped were unarmed ,and that is frightening and that (stop and frisk) became just a numbers game where they are compared to what struck the policeman in the past year and the police man are Compelled to do it” .

When you quote somebody you should do it accurately. Are we supposed to believe that that retired police officer spoke absolute nonsense?

:roll:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Being a human being with a different appearance does not mean you are a criminal. Alvin was a simple civilian who was stopped by the police more than once. On one of those occasions, he recorded what happened. The video showed the invective, threats, and ill-treatment he suffered at the hands of the police. This video was the spark that ignited the rejection of this law.

Exactly what is a simple civilian?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Get things right. Nobody really believes that a damaged window that isn't repaired will bring down an entire building.
2. When you quote somebody, name your source.
3. When you quote somebody do so accurately. Don't depend on your faulty memory. When you quote somebody, repeat what they said exactly -- word for word.

Status
Not open for further replies.