Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
what's the difference among those idiomatic expressions? a comparison between "let your heart rule your head" and "wear your heart on your sleeve".

a comparison between the phrase "waw amazing... you rock thank you" and the idiomatic expression "the marriage was on the rocks recently"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you let your heart rule your head, you allow your emotions to control you.If you wear your heart on your sleeve, you don't try to hide your emotions.

You rock = you're brilliant/excellent
On the rocks = in trouble

fish-able

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
If you let your heart rule your head, you allow your emotions to control you.If you wear your heart on your sleeve, you don't try to hide your emotions.

i can't recognize the meaning of your comment as well as i don't know the differences between them. which expression is stronger emotionally and which is better comprehensively (to look smarter)?

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
If you let your heart rule your head, you do things that your emotions suggest to you, rather than what might be rational.
If you wear your heart on your sleeve, people can easily see what you think, even if you do not act on them.
One is not smarter than the other they have different meanings.
In your second reply the I should be in capitals

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"If you wear your heart on your sleeve, people can easily see what you feel, even if you do not act on them."

fish-able

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
The both are negative, and a process of stupidity. I prefer to not let my heart rule my head and to hide my emotions as well.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Showing your heart on your sleeve is not always negative, a sportsman playing for their country might show the feelings of patriotism that they have for everyone to see, and be praised for it for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.