Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
what's the variation among these words: 'to get acquainted' / 'to be acquainted' / 'well-acquainted'? vs 'to get enlightened' / 'to be enlightened' / 'well-enlightened'?

i already defined the part of speech. i want a complete comparison, in detail is extra:-

i want a complete meaningful explanation about the differences between enlightened and acquainted:-

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A dictionary will define these words. I don't know why you think they are similar.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
There is a sense in which they mean something similar "to get (become) enlightened about something" and "to get (become) aquainted with something" could mean to become knowledgeable about something.

fish-able

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I can sense the difference between Enlightened and Acquainted. I know their parts of speech. such as: Enlightenment (n): The action of enlightenment, The Illuminati. To enlighten (v): to illuminate, light up. Acquaintance (n): A person known slightly, but who's not a close. To acquaint (v): Make someone aware of, or familiar with, be conversant.
Well-enlightened and Well-acquainted simply easy to know their meaning.
Now we're talking.
The variation between to get acquainted, and to be acquainted has different meaning.

What's the difference between "to get + past participle" and "to be + past participle"?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
actually i can see the difference between enlightened and acquainted and about the part of speech. enlightenment (n): the action of enlightenment the illuminati. to enlighten (v): to illuminate, light up. acquaintance (n): a person known slightly, but who's not a close. to acquaint (v): make someone aware of or familiar with, conversant.
well-enlightened and well-acquainted simply easy to know their meaning.
now we're talking.
the variation between to get acquainted and to be acquainted has different meaning.

what's the difference between "to get + past participle" and "to be + past participle"?

Please edit your post using correct capitalisation.

fish-able

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Enlightenment: The action of enlightenment, The Illuminati. To enlighten: give (someone) greater knowledge and understanding about a subject or situation., to light up intellectually or spiritually.
To get + past participle is the same as To be + past participle, and the only difference is in time:-
To be acquainted means you're turning to acquainting, or you're going to be acquainted in the future. To get acquainted means to become acquainted, or you're going to be acquainted. okay, I think they're similar.

Not a teacher.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me, there is a big difference between getting/being "acquainted" and getting/being "enlightened".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Well-enlightened and Well-acquainted simply easy to know their meaning.
Now we're talking.

Are we? Enlightenment is primarily a binary on/off state and not particularly suitable for degrees IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.