Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As a teacher who runs a daily English listening class in the morning, I am in a constant struggle to 1. find videos interesting enough for a bunch of junior high school students and 2. transcribe them so that I can make the fill-in-the-blank exercise.

I usually give up on the videos I can't fully transcribe, but this video seems to have some good grammar points and I'd rather not give this one up if I could get some help here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFioLN2TnLA

I have managed to transcribe most of it, but there are three parts I am having trouble with.

00:26 - 00:34 - I have a symptom called MS hug where all the small muscles in / on my ribs are in, constantly in spasm...
I hear 'in,' but I guess it could be 'on' also.

00:56 - 01:02 - In my role as a drugs minister I've come across a number of credible individuals who got ______ medical conditions...
He seems to have had a slip of the tongue, but he many have said legitimate words and I simply could not catch them. In any case, I've tried countless times to no avail.

01:08 - 01:15 - And they are asking me quite legitimately why it is that something which helps them medically is not available to the million HS.
"The million HS" is what I heard - if it is indeed what has been said, I do not know what it means. It is quite possible I got it wrong.

Much obliged for your help.

- HKB

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
Hi there!

I have had a listen and here is what I heard:

00:26 - 00:34 - I have a symptom called MS hug where all the small muscles in my ribs are, constantly in spasm...

00:56 - 01:02 - In my role as a drugs minister I've come across a number of credible individuals who've got significant medical conditions...

01:08 - 01:15 - And they are asking me quite legitimately why it is that something which helps them medically is not available to them on the NHS. (NHS is the National Health Service)

I hope this helps!

TMF

Last edited by a moderator:

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Oh wow, thank you very much, TMF - this definitely helps.

I still can't quite make out the third one - I do hear "to them" and "NHS," but whatever's in between still sounds gibberish to me. However, I will take your word for this.

Again, I am much obliged for your help.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I listened and TMF is right, but I can see why it sounds like gibberish; it's in the grey area between hearing it and knowing what he's saying from background knowledge.

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
...the background knowledge I still haven't quite managed to fully accumulate yet. I wonder how much longer it will take.

Thank you for the confirmation, Tdol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.