Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Here is an example:
She was raised in a small town.
She was born at the hospital located three hours drive of the town. Because there wasn't hospital in the town.

If you were her, and were asked "where are you from?", what would you say?

Thank you very very much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would answer with the name of the town where I was raised. If I was asked "Where were you born?", I would say the name of the hospital and explain that it's near [name of town I was raised in].

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I moved from the town I was born in to the one I was raised in when I was two. I have no memories of the first place and would always answer that I am from the town I grew up in.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Agreeing with Tdol and emsr, usually "Where are you from?" refers to the place where you spent most of your growing-up years. Some folks are unable to answer this succintly; for example, children of military officers, who never stayed more than a few years in one city as their parents were transferred from base to base. In such a case the person often answers "Where are you from?" with a short explanation like "I'm an Army brat, I'm from all over the place!" :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was born in California but grew up in New York. Rather than giving my history, I just rephrase my answer: I grew up in New York.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Many official forms require you to state your place of birth. In that case you must enter 'Tottleworth, Lancs, UK'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm going to get a lot of official forms rejected if I write that in for my place of birth! Either that, or a few months down the line from now, there will be an official report saying that Tottleworth is the most popular place in the world to be born. ;-)

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

When you register on this very site, one of the required fields is 'Home country' and 'Where do you come from?' is helpfully added to clarify what is being asked.

I was born and initially raised in Rome and later moved to England where my English father was from. I then underwent all of my secondary and further education in England. That is why my 'Member Info' states Italy as my home country.

The answer I give to people who ask me where I'm from depends on who they are and why they're asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.