Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There are about 1000 words
I am feeling difficult to remove few things because all of dem are equally important
Please let me know if I have to include the results of the experiments dat I have performed

Biological sciences have always fascinated me even before I understood the actual meaning of it. The tragic events like atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to Black death to Swine flu outbreak to present ebola outbreak have inspired me to learn more about biotechnology as this can only give us the solutions. Furthermore, through practicing biotechnology I believe to achieve my ultimate long term goal which is – good will of society. Of course, I need few long term goals before I reach the ultimate one. I look forward to share my research experience, my personality and long term goals in the upcoming paragraphs.

During my undergraduate studies, I have always chosen projects which are unique and are at the budding stages of research. In my first project, I carried out XXX. This project was challenging for me because firstly, I was criticized for carrying out such a basic tissue culturing technique and secondly XXX is an incalcitrant species and thirdly there were many instances where students were unsuccessful in tissue culturing of this plant. Not only I got breathtaking results but also won first prize in paper presentation at XXX. At technical point of view, for callus induction I had to optimize the concentration of growth regulators, experiment with different combination of growth regulators. Also, different explants were used for callus induction. The results showed callus induction from node, leaf and shoot tip with growth regulators- 2,4-D(2.2mg/L) and NAA+BAP (0.5+2mg/L). The concentration of principle metabolite analyzed through HPLC analysis showed that there was significant increase in metabolite concentration of callus when compared to the metabolite concentration in a wild type plant.

After the successful completion of this project, I was inclined to take up more challenging ones in future. For this, I turned towards the most reputed research institute in India- Indian Institute of Science. Here, I got an opportunity to work under XXX, Center of Ecological Sciences. I was inspired by his dedication to the protection of environment which involved solid waste management, checking the trophic status of lake and so on. Furthermore, his team worked on biofuel production from algae. I am glad that they shared their knowledge with me as a result of which I got an idea on working with biofilms. In this project, I collected biofilms from Bangalore urban lakes to isolate the different types of bacteria and algae involved in the biofilms consortium. In addition to this, I conducted water quality analysis to understand conditions at which the biofilm exists. The standardized procedures from American Public Health Association were adopted for water quality analysis. During this project, I read many articles from Sciencedirect.com which made me more comfortable to handle the project with ease. In the later stages of the project, I tried my hand in phenol degradation capacity of biofilms and got satisfactory results. As a part of my results, I documented the different types of bacteria and algae involved in the biofilm consortium. In future, we can co-culture these bacteria and algae for the purpose of bioremediation. The water quality analysis showed low concentration of nitrates and phosphates due to the presence of biofilms. From this project, I got an opportunity to learn about sampling points, sample collection methods and sample preservation techniques. On whole, this project created a lot of concern about environment in me because through water quality analysis, I found that many urban lakes are reaching eutrophication status (high nutrients concentration) which makes the water unfit for drinking.

Apart from the above projects, I have even carried out few short term projects. I attended training in downstream processing at XXX, Bangalore where I handled tangential flow filtration systems, labscale chromatography columns, performed gel electrophoresis and used UNICORN software to operate AKTA HPLC system. Continuing further, I also showed interest in bioinformatics due to which I got an internship opportunity at XXX under XXX. In this internship, I assisted XXX by finding out the genes and their role in oligodendroglioma followed by the proteins involved in oligodendroglioma.

In my free time, apart from trying hard to stand 2nd in my college, I have fascination for learning new languages. Recently, I finished A1 and A2 levels in French at XXX. To keep myself fit, I play basketball in the weekends at local clubs. I start my day with reading newspaper and in fact, I received general merit scholarship for winning All India general knowledge examination conducted by Center for Human Resource Development in 2003. I was popular in my school for reciting bible verses and won first prize every time the competition was conducted. ‘Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom’ remains my favorite bible verse of all times. I have received National best artist award for my handwriting from Kalabharathi Child Art Development Institute, Pune. I have also received awards in school for essay writing, debate, singing and academic excellence.

On a personal note, I have always believed in hard work and dedication. Both of these accompanied with intelligence and patience boosts my confidence for higher achievements. University of Texas at Dallas I believe will assist me to achieve my goals. Well-structured curriculum and dedicating faculty at UTD grasped my attention for pursuing masters in Biotechnology. In addition to this, there are well equipped labs through which I get to practically understand the theory taught in class. With all these, I hope to face the biotechnology industry with experience and confidence.

In country like India where biotechnology is completely neglected, I have always dreamt of starting my own research and development company. In this dream company, I wish to work towards protection of environment. Masters in biotechnology will help me to learn the required technical and management skills for heading a company. I look forward to give successful results in return to the knowledge shared by the professors. I promise to keep up to the expectations of such prestigious institute and come up with flying colors. I wish to become a part of this institute and work for the good will of society.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a very long piece. I don't know if anyone will have the time to check the whole piece but before anyone tries, please click on Edit Post and put a full line space between every paragraph.

Poornima poo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for the advice
will do the required change!:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the advice.
I will [strike]do[/strike] make the required changes!:)

See above. Remember to write in full sentences and to end sentences with a punctuation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.