[General] how to use should to show a surprised tone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rorysnow

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have just noticed a multiple choice question:

-Amazing! You _______ wear slippers to work.
-Don't you know it's a fashion?
A.might B.should C.could D.would

The key is B and it is explained that the word "should" is used here to show a surprised tone

I know that "should" can be used like this in a sentence like "It is unfair that this should happen to me." but is it really right to be used in the above sentence:?:

some people on the internet says that should can only be used this way in some subordinate clause, while others doesn't give any restrictions and give examples such as “You should lie to me” to mean "I'm surprised that you lied to me" [Is it right:?:]

Could anybody shed me some light on this topic please? Thank you very much!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What an odd question! The use of the phrase "Don't you know it's a fashion?" (although ungrammatical) suggests that the speaker thinks that the other person "should" wear slippers to work. However, starting it with "Amazing!" makes no sense. Are those lines meant to be spoken by two different people? If so, the whole dialogue is nonsensical. In my opinion, it's a terrible test question.

The only ways I can make understandable dialogues of any parts of that question are:

Jane: Amazing! You wear slippers to work!
Sue: Yes, don't you know it's the latest fashion?

Jane: You should wear slippers to work.
Sue: Should I? Why?
Jane: Because it's fashionable.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"It's amazing that you should wear slippers to work!" is a possible meaning. As it stands, it's ungrammatical, but I would put 'should' in an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.