Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
UK
Hello!
Can I use "bare" instead of "put up with" in the following sentence.

We don't "put up with" harassment at home. Can someone explain where should we use "put up with" with some examples.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Bear" [note spelling] doesn't sound right in that sentence. "Tolerate" is the basic meaning of "put up with". "Bear" is most often used with "can't". For example, "I can't bear harassment or bullying." rather than "We don't bear harassment and bullying at our school." That is not natural. "We don't put up with/tolerate harassment or bullying" is much better.

One difference is that "to bear something" it must happen to you. To "put up with or tolerate something", it could be happening to someone else.
Also used with 'can't', but generally not with 'don't', is 'stand': "I can't stand bullying." Yes. "I don't stand bullying" No.

balakrish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
UK
Can I use "we should n't bear"? Which one we regularly use between "should n't bear "or "should not tolerate"?

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Can I use "we shouldn't bear"? Which one we regularly use between "shouldn't bear "or "should not tolerate"?
When writing a contraction there is no space between the first part of the contraction and the second.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use "we should n't bear"? Which one we regularly use between "should n't bear "or "should not tolerate"?

Use "We should not tolerate" or "We shouldn't put up with."

"Bear" isn't natural in that phrase.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is it necessary to dredge up old posts just to reiterate what has already been said?

Status
Not open for further replies.