Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

I need your advice about my english plan.I am an upper-intermediate english language student and want to be fluent as soon as possible,so i have made a plan of studying english 4 hours per day for 1 year.My daily plan includes 1.5 hours for studing grammar,1/2 hour for improving my pronunciation,1 hour for vocabulary and one hour speaking in front of mirror to myself since i donot have anyone to talk with.My question is that with this plan will i be able to become fluent in a year.Moreover by reading my post what do you think my level of english is.Any answer would be appreciated.Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello everyone,

I need your advice about my english plan.I am an upper-intermediate english language student and want to be fluent as soon as possible,so i have made a plan of studying english 4 hours per day for 1 year.My daily plan includes 1.5 hours for studing grammar,1/2 hour for improving my pronunciation,1 hour for vocabulary and one hour speaking in front of mirror to myself since i donot have anyone to talk with.My question is that with this plan will i be able to become fluent in a year.Moreover by reading my post what do you think my level of english is.Any answer would be appreciated.Thanks

Look at your capitalisation and spacing.

Noman pervaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for replying, but you haven't answerd my question.Is my study plan good or i should make some ammendments.I need your advice because you are a native speaker.Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you wish to improve your English, concentrate on how you write English first. Bhaisahab's suggestion was good and very important. If you don't get capitalisation and spacing right, it doesn't matter how good the words are.

Follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- Always capitalise proper nouns (English, Microsoft, Shakespeare etc).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Your daily plan didn't include any of those.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To show that you have understood and taken notice of those rules, click on "Edit Post" in both of your posts in this thread and make all the relevant changes. After that, we will comment on your main question.

Noman pervaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
Here is my edited version:
Hello everyone,

I need your advice about my English plan. I am an upper-intermediate English language student and want to be fluent as soon as possible, so I have made a plan of studying English 4 hours per day for 1 year. My daily plan includes, 1.5 hours for studing grammar, 1/2 hour for improving my pronunciation, 1 hour for vocabulary and one hour speaking in front of mirror to myself, since i donot have anyone to talk with. My question is that with this plan, will I be able to become fluent in a year. Moreover by reading my post, what do you think my level of English is. Any answer would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not bad but you failed to capitalise the word "English" every time you wrote it. Click on Edit Post and correct that.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Will I be able to become fluent in a year.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Mr. Pervaz:

In my opinion, it all depends on your interpretation of "fluent."

If "fluent" means to speak, write, and understand English as native speakers do, then, I feel that one year will not be enough.

It takes many years to become fluent. In fact, it can be said that some native speakers are not actually "fluent" in their language. Many persons here in the United States cannot write a coherent letter. Many people have a very inadequate vocabulary.

If you want to become REASONABLY fluent in one year, I feel that there is only one way: you must speak (and listen) to native speakers. I do NOT know whether it is true, but some celebrities have CLAIMED that they learned English simply by watching English-language movies (or TV shows) EVERY day for several hours. (That is certainly one way to learn English idioms, slang, etc. -- which is necessary if you wish to consider yourself fluent in a language.)

James

Noman pervaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
Thanks James for the advice, but for me fluency is, when i can make myself understood easy and efficiently.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks [strike]James[/strike] for the advice James (no comma here) but, for me, fluency is (no comma here) when I can make myself understood easy and efficiently.

See above.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Understand 'easily', not 'efficiently'.