Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am not qualified to comment on what British or other accents may be mixed in yours, except to say that I can detect no trace of any of the American accents.

Gelli

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Canada
You sound SE England, maybe to the west of London, and I hear no American. However as I am a Brit. living in Canada for a long time, I may be missing that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't detect even the tiniest hint of an American accent. To me, you sound like someone from SE England who has perhaps spent a little time in either Australia or New Zealand. The "e"s in "depending" and "get", for example, sound a little more like "dipinding" and "git" which, for me, are Antipodean.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
It sounds like SE England for the most part but, right at the beginning, the 'a' in the word 'sample' made me think you were from up north. That impression disappeared almost immediately.

It's a pity you gave the second reason for asking your question with your head inside a pillow. If you want to post another recording try speaking into the microphone. :lol:

Prolingousa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with the rest of the posts that your accent sounds British. Definitely no trace of an American accent as I know their accents very well.

xtina937

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
I agree with the rest of the posts that your accent sounds British. Definitely no trace of an American accent as I know their accents very well.

Thanks. Was just curious to know. The part of the US I'm in, won't be long until I am sounding a bit like it. I know, I'm sorry about the second part, I recorded it on my phone and it somehow got muffled.

xtina937

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
It sounds like SE England for the most part but, right at the beginning, the 'a' in the word 'sample' made me think you were from up north. That impression disappeared almost immediately.

It's a pity you gave the second reason for asking your question with your head inside a pillow. If you want to post another recording try speaking into the microphone. :lol:

I lived in Wiltshire for a while, so there's sometimes some "r"'s at end of words in there which can sound American. At least that's what I hear when I hear myself lol

sorry about it being muffled, here's another:
http://yourlisten.com/cb937/reading

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

That was a lot clearer.

I'm sticking to my original conclusion of southern English.

However, I grew up in southern England and there were just a couple of odd sounding words to my ear.

At 00:16 'plant' was decidedly not southern English. A bit of an American twang crept in there.
At 00:47 and 00:49 'omega' sounded like /ˈəʊmɛɡə/ whereas I would pronounce it /ˈəʊmɪɡə/.

I just listened to it again and right at the end, the word 'going' sounded very strange too, but maybe that was you signing off with a funny voice. It could almost have been Scottish.

xtina937

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

That was a lot clearer.

I'm sticking to my original conclusion of southern English.

However, I grew up in southern England and there were just a couple of odd sounding words to my ear.

At 00:16 'plant' was decidedly not southern English. A bit of an American twang crept in there.
At 00:47 and 00:49 'omega' sounded like /ˈəʊmɛɡə/ whereas I would pronounce it /ˈəʊmɪɡə/.

I just listened to it again and right at the end, the word 'going' sounded very strange too, but maybe that was you signing off with a funny voice. It could almost have been Scottish.

Thanks for having another listen. When I go back and listen to it, I do agree with you on the "going" at the end, I can hear a difference now that you mention it. Funny thing. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are some glottal stops in there for /t/, which might suggest SE England, but the glottal is spreading further afield in the UK, so is no longer such a good marker.

Prolingousa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just took a quick listen to your new sample and I heard a mixture this time but your British accent is still dominant. May want to work more on your vowels. Just curious, what is your goal? also what part of the US are you in?

xtina937

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
I just took a quick listen to your new sample and I heard a mixture this time but your British accent is still dominant. May want to work more on your vowels. Just curious, what is your goal? also what part of the US are you in?

Thanks, what did you hear?
I'd like to really just maintain it, I don't want to lose it, yet I'm noticing some different sounds when I speak. I'm living close to the Nashville, TN area- been here for about 6 years. Thanks!

Prolingousa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There were some words (American English accent) that sound familiar to me but it wasn't a southern accent if you happen to be concerned with that :) So, if I understand you correctly you want to maintain your British accent? I went to grad school in Nashville and lived there for a couple of years so I am familiar with their accent.

xtina937

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
Yes, that would be what I'd like to do. I love southern accents, don't get me wrong, I just don't want some of those sounds mixed with mine, think it'd be a really strange combination. Oh, did you study Linguistics or something to do with Language? I hear TN has some great schools for that, and I may go back.

Prolingousa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No need to worry. Gauging from the responses on this forum it did not point to a southern American accent. I actually had a patient who was was born in London but moved to VA in her 20s, she is is now in her mid 70s and still sound like she just moved here from London. The accent is still just as strong. I studied language and linguistics as it pertains to Speech-Language Pathology. Since you are now living in the US, I guess I can wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

xtina937

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United States
That's a fascinating field! Thank you, you too!!

rfmorris

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There is a website where you can record your voice and a teacher will listen it and give you a detailed analysis and tell you what to work on http://accent-expert.com

Status
Not open for further replies.