• Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Default teaching the abc

I have recently read that it is preferable to first teach upper case letters and only after the pupils master the letter and its sound, the lower case should be taught.
    I should note that in Hebrew (the mother tongue of the efl pupils) the children first learn the letters which they encounter in books, newspapers, street signs and so forth and later on they are taught the handwriting form of the letters (which may be compared to hand writing in English in which the letters are attached to one another) .
    Regarding this fact and the fact that the traditional teaching of the abc introduces both upper case and lower case letters together,
    I would like to know which strategy is more beneficial for an efl class of Hebrew speakers.
    Can anyone refer me to a source dealing with this kind of question?
    Thaks,
    miniwave

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: teaching the abc

I've never taught children that young, so don't know about literacy, but there might be some help here:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/cgi-bin/...&submit=Search

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. This is exactly what I'm teaching right now! I'm teaching young children here in Tokyo and I find it easier to teach capitals first and less confusing for the children. If they learn it systematically as a 2nd language maybe it's easier to pick up. This is only my opinion though
    Teach English in Japan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miniwave
    I have recently read that it is preferable to first teach upper case letters and only after the pupils master the letter and its sound, the lower case should be taught.
    I should note that in Hebrew (the mother tongue of the efl pupils) the children first learn the letters which they encounter in books, newspapers, street signs and so forth and later on they are taught the handwriting form of the letters (which may be compared to hand writing in English in which the letters are attached to one another) .
    Regarding this fact and the fact that the traditional teaching of the abc introduces both upper case and lower case letters together,
    I would like to know which strategy is more beneficial for an efl class of Hebrew speakers.
    Can anyone refer me to a source dealing with this kind of question?
    Thaks,
    miniwave
    Hi

I always first teach the sounds of the letters in both Capitals and lower case as well as in different fonts, before introducing letter names and the copping of the letters. Before introducing letter names be shure that they know the letter sounds well.

Peace and Unity

Roger