Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm looking to teach ESL on-line . I've done it before but the last company I worked for was dishonest and didn't pay me.

Can anyone tell me any good on-line companies. I see there are many. Anyone have any good experiences with one in particular?

Thank you

Jenny_S

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Italy
I have heard bad stories about lots of them; they either pay late or pay very little. I would suggest trying to move into private teaching online as in the end it's the only way you can make decent money.

Of course it will take time and it may be necessary to work at an online school in the meantime, but it's worth it in the end.

jawgar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have used italki.com to take (not teach) lessons. Their site seems well organized.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would suggest trying to move into private teaching online as in the end it's the only way you can make decent money.

It does, however, carry risks- private tutor websites in our database have a high failure rate. If you have contacts, then it can work well, but touting for trade on the internet is not easy.

Last edited:

jwsimpson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Russian Federation
It does, however, carry risks- private tutor websites in our database have a high failure rate. If you have contacts, then it can work well, but touting for trade on the internet is not easy.

There will always be a high failure rate for many who start business as a private tutor, but for those who succeed it can be quite rewarding. Try your own free Moodle learning management system. You do have some new skills to learn, but it's worth it. try moodle.org and find out. It's free and open source. It is advisable to invest a little in getting your own website for a few pounds a month.

The easy way to test out what it is like is to try https://www.gnomio.com/. It's free with ads, a small fee to have ads removed. It is a moodle learning management system, complete with a virtual online classroom complete with whiteboard. Like a group skype, but much much more, and you can teach groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.