Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all,

I would like to ask you about synonyms of the word "finest" in conjunction with the word "shop".
A friend of mine starts an e-store, and he wanted to add a phrase to it "gentlemen's finest shop".
However, it turns out that some other shop already uses it. Hence, the word "finest" needs to be replaced.

As a non-native, I'm not entirely sure wherher "supreme shop", "premier shop", "paramount shop" etc. sound natural.
I'd appreciate some help on that.
What synonyms of the adjective "best" would you associate with "shop" to make it sound natural for a native?

Thanks a lot!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about Where gentlemen shop?

osmiornica

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How about Where gentlemen shop?

No, no.
I think I haven't made myself clear.
It would look like this:

XXX
gentlemen's finest shop

But he can't use "finest shop", and needs to replace the word "finest" with something adequate and natural in such context.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Real gentlemen only shop at the finest places anyway, so the adjective seems unnecessary to me. It adds nothing, and suggests that it doesn't attract gentlemen IMO. Gentlemen buy their suits in Savile Row. Those tailors don't need to put their labels on the outside or claim to be Savile Row's finest. If your friend is trying to attract gentlemen, superlatives aren't necessary IMO

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If "finest gentlemen's shop" isn't going to be the official name of the shop (and the website), it doesn't matter if someone else is using it. Your friend only needs to be careful not to duplicate an actual company name.

Status
Not open for further replies.