English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
I'm new here and new to teaching English. I have done a TEFL course and have done some lessons with groups of kids, but that was only once a week for a couple of months. I have done casual teaching more long term but again with classes rather than an individual. I've just been offered a job tutoring someone 1 on 1 and was wondering if any of you have advice on this? I was going to start by just chatting with her to ascertain her approximate ability, but I'm not really sure what to do after that? I tried making lesson plans, but I imagine teaching an individual is different than teaching a group? Do any of you have any advice? I would be so grateful

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I was honestly trying to come up with some advice but then I understood it would be writing a book on teaching 1-2-1 ;-) Could you probably be a bit more specific?

Riseeikaiwa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi,
I'm new here and new to teaching English. I have done a TEFL course and have done some lessons with groups of kids, but that was only once a week for a couple of months. I have done casual teaching more long term but again with classes rather than an individual. I've just been offered a job tutoring someone 1 on 1 and was wondering if any of you have advice on this? I was going to start by just chatting with her to ascertain her approximate ability, but I'm not really sure what to do after that? I tried making lesson plans, but I imagine teaching an individual is different than teaching a group? Do any of you have any advice? I would be so grateful

I've been teaching one on one full time for 4 years, in fact I own an English language school in Osaka, Japan.
Our lessons are 40 minutes, I start with a warm up - asking questions: what's new? what do you do? etc.
Then I go onto a text book for the main part of the lesson - pick one for an appropriate level.
At the end I do a cool down and review any new words that we taught.
Through out the lesson remember to actively correct the student and try and keep your talking time to a minimum - try and let them talk as much as possible. GL :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.