How do you feel if someone hates you for something you never knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
This is a difficult question. First of all, to think someone hates me is a terrible thought per se. But, when I did not know the reason about it, the situation is further more weird. Actually, as this condition is so uncomfortable, I would look for the person and I would try to talk about the problem - supposing that there was a real problem. Independently of the guilty, I would apologize me to the person. In this case, I belive the supposed problem would be resolved.

What would you do in this situation?

Could you correct my english?

Thanks, folks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When are you going to submit this essay to your teacher for grading?

tnas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
When are you going to submit this essay to your teacher for grading?
This is not a part of an essay for grading, but just a paragraph of my English lessons. I would like to see an opinion of a native speaker about what I have been written. It's just this ;-).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a difficult question. First of all, to think someone hates me is a terrible thought [STRIKE]per se[/STRIKE]. But (no comma here) when I [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] do not know the reason [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] for it, the situation is [STRIKE]further[/STRIKE] even more weird. Actually, as this [STRIKE]condition[/STRIKE] situation is so uncomfortable, I would [STRIKE]look for[/STRIKE] find the person and I would try to talk about the problem - supposing that there was a real problem. Independently of the guilty (I have no idea what you mean by this) I would apologize [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] to the person. In this case, I believe the supposed problem would be resolved.

Could you correct my English?

Thanks, folks.

See above. I have no idea what "Independently of the guilty" means.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I might talk to a friend about it. Or I might write a poem. (It is quite possible that people will dislike you even though they don't really know you.)

:)

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have poured my heart out together with the best of my vocabulary and grammar and was ready to click the submit button when my draft simply disappeared. Never mind, another writer died today. :lol:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Independently of the guilty, I would apologize me to the person.
Irrespective of who is guilty, I would apologize to the person - Is this what OP wanted to say?

The person, whoever he/she is, must mean a lot to you. Is there any problem to find the person?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have poured my heart out together with the best of my vocabulary and grammar and was ready to click the submit button when my draft simply disappeared. Never mind, another writer died today. :lol:

Another one bites the dust.
;-)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Never mind who's guilty. Apologize!

;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Never apologise for anything if you don't know what it is. ;-)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Never apologise for anything if you don't know what it is. ;-)

Which reminds me of a story. (But what doesn't?) One day at work this young lady insisted that I apologize for saying she had a nice body. (Apparently, that had kept her up all night. ;-)) Although I hadn't really said that, I apologized. (I had said she looked nice, and that was all.) Anyhow, I decided to conduct one of my informal surveys with the question being "How would you react if somebody said you had a nice body?" (Only women got the question.) The response was universally positive. (In a different work environment it might have been inappropriate. Anyhow, one woman thought I was actually saying, "You have a nice body," and she was so happy about it that I didn't want to tell her different. ;-))

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Tarheel
You had said she looked nice but she heard that you said she had a nice body. Did she hear it from a third party?
I think the latter is a rather suggestive comment. Why would someone compliment a lady on her body out of the blue
instead of her looks? The reaction from a lady would depend on how well you know her. Someone you know well wouldn't think much about it.
But someone who is just an acquaintance would likely wonder what you have in mind. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why would someone compliment a lady on her body out of the blue instead of her looks?

These days, many people deem it completely inappropriate to comment on a lady's body or her looks. On the basis of equality, it should be deemed equally inappropriate to comment on a man's body or looks, but this seems to be less of an issue.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel
You had said she looked nice but she heard that you said she had a nice body. Did she hear it from a third party?
I think the latter is a rather suggestive comment. Why would someone compliment a lady on her body out of the blue
instead of her looks? (:-?)

Wow, that's an awful lot! What I said was: "You look nice" (She was "dressed up" for that particular work environment.) She heard something else. (I was actually there, so I know what happened.) I did not say: "You have a nice body" to that person, but I did apologize for saying it. (I was not interested in having any kind of argument.)

The reaction from a lady would depend on how well you know her. Someone you know well wouldn't think much about it. But someone who is just an acquaintance would likely wonder what you have in mind. ;-)

Her reaction to what? (How different life is when you have real work to do. I was a permanent temp, but there were plenty who were real temps. Then there were those who somebody decided could be hired to work there indefinitely. (After more than three years, they were still undecided about me.))

:roll:

Alex S

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is a problem of that person, not you :)

Never feel guilty or apologize for who you are. Yes, we all should think of learning new things and become better, but it does not mean we should worry about opinions' of every person who does not like us.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey, we're twins.
;-)