Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
I am finding trouble as to figuring out when a sentence properly ends. I find myself putting more commas than periods to keep going on with the thought.

I know basic examples like, "If only I could be an astronaut."

But I have problems if I write, "If only I could be an astronaut, I'd be out in space, doing the things I want to do, but I might find myself wishing I was back home, you know, with my family, especially my spouse but that is part of it."

See how many commas went in there? I am not highly educated on writing the English language. However, I have become good enough at it from reading and writing on the internet. Can someone fill me in if in the second example there are too many comas?

I also have problems knowing when to end a paragraph. Let's say, (does comma belong after lets say?) that I am writing about one subject that doesn't really change topics. How do I know when to start a new paragraph?

Thanks in return. Also, the : symbol is used when I'm about to describe what's in something correct? Such as, "You will need to bring: A tent, a bed, a sleeping bag, and something to start a fire with. Also, what is the difference between ":" and ";"

What about, "i:e?" For example, "That isn't good for you, i:e high sugary foods."

You also notice the quation marks. Am I using them properly? I am not quoting anyone. However, I have to differentiate between an example and what I am saying. Should I use, ' instead of "? If not what is ' for?

Sorry for all the questions in one post. They are basic so I figured you guys would know them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"If only I could be an astronaut, I'd be out in space, doing the things I want to do, but I might find myself wishing I was back home, you know, with my family, especially my spouse but that is part of it."

The sentence you gave as an example would be perfectly acceptable if you were transcribing speech. That is exactly how some people talk - one thought runs into another, no thought is given to grammar or structure, they change tack halfway through and some people rarely draw breath!

When we write, we write in shorter, snappier chunks. Some very long sentences are perfectly acceptable and are necessary but most of the time, natural breaks can be found.

The written version of your sentence could be something like "If only I could be an astronaut. I'd be out in space doing the things I want to do. However, I might find myself wishing I was back home with my family, particularly my spouse." I don't really know what you meant by "... but that is part of it".

Please start new threads for the other questions in your post. It gets very confusing when multiple responses come in to multiple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.