Post Thanks / Like

Question [COLOR="Red"]Sadness on an elbow[/COLOR]

Good evening friend! I have another expression that I can´t understand.
    I need your help again

The sentece is
    She looked out the woindow her whole life, the way so many women sit their sadness on an elbow.

Thanks again, Have a nice day.
    Joan

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: [COLOR="Red"]Sadness on an elbow[/COLOR]

She is presumably leaning on her arm, so that the weight of her head presses down on her elbow, with her hand under her chin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: [COLOR="Red"]Sadness on an elbow[/COLOR]

No, I think it means to keep your sadness to yourself, or to not share it to another. I've never heard of it before, and it's hard without more context from which it was taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Sadness on an elbow

Well she was an emigrant from Mexico, who cann´t speak english and doesn´t go anywhere. She only stay on the window .. How she was from Mexico,maybe it is a spanish idiomatic expression.

Thanks for answering.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sadness on an elbow

The book is The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisnerosfrom Mexico.

The Full Paragraph is:

Whatever her reasons, whether she is fat, or canót climb the stair, or is agradis of English, seh won`t come down. She sit all day by the window and plays the Spanish radio show...
    She looked out the window her whole llife, the way so many women sit their sadness on an elbow. I wonder if she made thes best with what she got or was she sorry because she couldn`t be all the things she wanted to do..

For my the answer is that the sadness to be only in a window.. like you are convict only see people through the window...

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sadness on an elbow

The book is The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisnerosfrom Mexico.
    The Full Paragraph is:
    Whatever her reasons, whether she is fat, or canót climb the stairs, or is agradis of English, seh won`t come down. She sit all day by the window and plays the Spanish radio show...
    She looked out the window her whole llife, the way so many women sit their sadness on an elbow. I wonder if she made thes best with what she got or was she sorry because she couldn`t be all the things she wanted to do..

[COLOR="Green"]For my the answer is : She hasn`t got friends,she feels alone in that foreing country ,the homesickness for her country,people, customs..COLOR]
    Thanks a lot.

Joan