Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A search reveals that this is a sentence quoted from the writings of John Galsworthy. The text immediately preceding this sentence illuminates it, and it now makes sense.

In the cave, damp and darkish like any other cave, the great feature was a pool with possibility of creatures which might be caught and put into bottles. Sabina and Freda, who wore no stockings on their shapely brown legs, exhorted Ashurst to join them in the middle of it, and help sieve the water.

{Time goes fast for one [who has a sense of beauty,]} {when there are pretty children in a pool and a young Diana on the edge, [to receive with wonder anything you can catch!]}

My own analysis is:
1. {} is the main clause; {} is the adverbial clause.
2. [] is the attributive clause embeded in the main clause for modifying one; [] is the attributive clause embeded in the adverbial clause to modify Diana.

Hope to see comments from you ladies and gentlemen, Thanks.:-D

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, the beginning should be "Time goes fast" or "Times go fast".

For me, the main clause is "Time goes fast for one (who has a sense of beauty) to receive with wonder anything one can catch." I changed "you" to "one" because one must continue to use "one" when one starts with "one". "Who has a sense of beauty" is a relative clause modifying "one". The other clause is adverbial.

ALBO_Jay

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks ,MickNewYork.
With someone's help I find that sentence's context which may help to understand its original meaning. If you do not agree with me, would you please use brackets to indicate clauses as I do?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found your brackets to be confusing. I use other methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.