[Grammar] He was very tired...,so he said that he was sorry TO/NOT TO accompany us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Disclaimer:-This is not my homework.

He was very tired of work,so he said that he was sorry to accompany us.

I think that as he have not accompanied us due to his tiredness,the sentence should be :- He was very tired of work,so he said that he was sorry not to accompany us.

Please tell me :- Are both the sentences correct and if not then which one is correct? If both are correct, do they have any difference in meaning?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where did you find 'He was very tired of work, so he said that he was sorry to accompany us.'

It's not a natural sentence, even you insert the missing 'not'.

If both are correct, is there any difference in meaning?
Leave a space after every comma.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I found it in a grammar practice book(non-standard).
By the way, thanks for the advice.
Also, please tell :- Does "not" have some significance (even if the sentence is not natural)?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is different to say that a person is tired of work rather than to say he is tired from working. A person who is tired of work doesn't want to work anymore. But a person who is tired from working is physically exhausted. A person might say, for example:

I have been working all day, and I need to rest. I am going to stay home for a while.

or

I have been working, and I need to rest. Give me some time, and maybe I'll join you later.

or

I am tired from working. I am going to stay home and rest. Could you bring me some takeout?

or

I've been working a lot, and I'm tired. I'm going to take a nap. But you go out and have fun.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.